If Statements

  1. #1
    anat
    Guest

    If Statements

    I have 2 cells with asterics in them, D11 and I11. I am trying to write a
    forumla using if statement
    =IF(D11="*",1,"")
    How could I combine both cells to add them if they both have *?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: If Statements

    one way:

    =COUNTIF(D11,"~*")+COUNTIF(I11,"~*")

  3. #3
    anat
    Guest

    Re: If Statements

    Sorry I should have been more clear:

    Col X should look at D and I and total the number of astericks. Col Y
    should total the cells without astericks.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: If Statements

    Perhaps I'm dense, but I'm not understanding here...

    Do you want to count asterisks in each row, columns D & I, putting the
    result in column X of that row?

    Or do you want to count all the asterisks in columns D & I and put that
    in some cell in column X? If so, how many rows should be looked at for
    the value that goes into the cell in column Y (i.e., cells without
    asterisks)?

  5. #5
    anat
    Guest

    Re: If Statements

    Yes, I want to count the number of asterisks in each row (of columns D & I)
    and put the result in column X of that row. And if it has no asterisks count
    the blanks and put the results in Col Y since the asterisks represents a type
    of an employee.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: If Statements

    One way:

    Y1: =2-X1

    Select X1 and Y1 and copy down as far as necessary.