Why is my text changing to pound signs?

  1. #1
    SleepyDawn
    Guest

    Why is my text changing to pound signs?

    I have been using Excel (XP) to make a text chart for several months. Some of
    my text entries are rather lengthy. The past two weeks these lengthy entries
    are showing up as pound signs (#########) when I click off the cell. I know
    the text will fit in the cell, and the problem isn't solved by making the
    cell bigger or using a little bit less text. I have the cells formatted as
    "text" and "wrap to fit". I have printed the pages and the printed version
    also has pound signs. I just want my text to show up!

  2. #2
    Sharon
    Guest

    RE: Why is my text changing to pound signs?

    Have you tried making the row height bigger? Also, maybe format the cell to
    General if it's set at Text. I also think that there is a maximum character
    length for cells, I want to say 256 but am not sure.

  3. #3

    Re: Why is my text changing to pound signs?

    I think you got the answer correct with the "format as General" suggestion.

    But since xl97, you can put 32k characters in a cell. If you leave excel to its
    own devices, you'll be able to see about 1000 characters. But you can add a
    bunch of alt-enters (to force new lines in the cell) and see tons more.