Changing the shortcut key for Help (F1)?

  1. #1
    Lena
    Guest

    Changing the shortcut key for Help (F1)?

    I pretty often hit F1 accidently instead of F2 when I want to edit the data
    in a cell. I want to change the Help key (F1) to something different, so I
    won't have this problem anymore, but I can't find a way. Could it be that it
    is impossible to change the function keys?

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Changing the shortcut key for Help (F1)?

    Hi Lena,
    I personally like having F1 and SHIFT+F1

    I would not recommend trying the following at home (or at work)
    as it will disable the F1 key.

    The following would go into ThisWorkbook

    Sub Workbook_Open()
    Application.OnKey "{F1}", ""
    End Sub

    As far as the CAPS Lock goes physical removal (on non laptops)
    works best. For laptop a bit of poster putty under left side of key
    works for awhile..
    ---
    HTH,

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Changing the shortcut key for Help (F1)?

    and to restore use of the F1 key use this line of code:
    Application.OnKey "{F1}"

  4. #4
    Lena
    Guest

    Re: Changing the shortcut key for Help (F1)?

    OK, so there's no way to just change the shortcut?

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Changing the shortcut key for Help (F1)?

    Hi Lena,
    Application.OnKey "{F1}", ""
    changed the use of the F1 key by removing it.
    By the way you can enter the above in the Intermediate Window in the VBE.

    If you would like to run a macro instead see this posting by Dave Peterson
    http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

    ---