How do I set up a formula to insert text in excel?

  1. #1
    nikki8327
    Guest

    How do I set up a formula to insert text in excel?

    Hi, I have a questionnaire that is administered on an excel sheet with
    respondents typing their answers (i.e 1,2,3) into specific cells. Is there
    any way that I can create a formula (or something??) that inserts response
    relevant text into another sheet in the workbook, to create a report?
    Many Thanks,
    Nikki

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up a formula to insert text in excel?

    Nikki
    You can use formulas for this type of thing if you want this done only
    once. But if this is a repeating task I would suggest an event macro. If
    you want to use an event macro you will have to decide when you want this
    copying to take place. IOW, what event do you want to trigger the execution
    of this event macro. When the file is printed? When it is saved? When it
    is closed? When a specific cell content is changed? Post back and provide
    more detail about what you have and what you want. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up a formula to insert text in excel?

    Try VLOOKUP, something along these lines

    Assume this reference table (response# to text)
    is set-up in Sheet2 cols A and B, from row1 down:
    1 Text1
    2 Text2
    3 Text3
    etc

    Assume your questionaire is structured in Sheet1, where the response#'s
    (1,2,3, ...) will be entered into col C, C2 down

    In Sheet3 (assume this is your report sheet)
    ---------
    Let's say you want the corresponding text for the responses made in Sheet1
    to appear in C2 down, viz.: Text1, Text2 to appear in C2 down

    Put in C2:
    =IF(Sheet1!$C2="","",VLOOKUP(Sheet1!$C2,Sheet2!A:B,2,0))
    Copy C2 down

    Perhaps better with an error-trap for invalid responses (if any) made in
    Sheet1

    Put instead in C2:
    =IF(Sheet1!$C2="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH(Sheet1!$C2,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"Invalid
    response# entered",VLOOKUP(Sheet1!$C2,Sheet2!A:B,2,0)))

    Any invalid response number entry in Sheet1
    will then return: Invalid response# entered
    (instead of #NAs)

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  4. #4
    nikki8327
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up a formula to insert text in excel?

    Hi Otto,
    Thanks for your advice.
    I'd like the text to insert when a specific cell content is changed. Once
    each respondent completes the 158 questions in the questionnaire on sheet 1,
    I'd like them to be able to view their report on sheet 3, if this is
    possible. I'm not very familiar with setting up macros unfortunately so any
    advice will be much appreciated!
    Thanks again,
    Nikki

  5. #5
    nikki8327
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up a formula to insert text in excel?

    Thank you so much for your excellent advice - worked like a charm! The only
    problem I have now is that i have just realised that the text will need to
    represent ranges of scores (i.e 1-5, 6-10). In 'Sheet 2' (as you have
    described below) How do I insert these ranges into column A - from which the
    text will be produced?
    Many thanks,
    Nikki

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up a formula to insert text in excel?

    We could revise it in Sheet2
    (cols A and B, from row1 down)
    as:

    1 Text1
    6 Text2
    10 Text3

    where response #s 1 - 5 will correspond to Text1,
    6 - 9 to Text2, & 10 and above to Text3

    Then in Sheet3, just amend the VLOOKUP to
    find approx matches instead of exact matches, viz.:

    Put instead in C2:

    =IF(Sheet1!$C2="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH(Sheet1!$C2,Sheet2!A:A)),"Invalid
    response# entered",VLOOKUP(Sheet1!$C2,Sheet2!A:B,2)))

    And copy C2 down, as before

    --
    Rgds
    Max