Ensure dates imported into Excel 2003 are shown in DD/MM/YYY form.

  1. #1
    KymY
    Guest

    Ensure dates imported into Excel 2003 are shown in DD/MM/YYY form.

    Have recently upgraded to a new XP Pro PC with Office 2003

    However when exportng accounting reports from MYOB Premier 8, I now find
    that Excel treats the MYOB dd/mm/yyyy format dates (Australian format) as
    mm/dd/yyyy (US format)

    My Win XP Region setting is Australia and my Language setting is English
    (Australian)

    How can I adjust the Excel Options to ensure the defualt date format for new
    Excel sheets is dd/mm/yyyy ? (there's nothing on this in the International
    tab)

    Kym Yeoward
    Alice Springs NT
    Australia

  2. #2
    Smuggy
    Guest

    RE: Ensure dates imported into Excel 2003 are shown in DD/MM/YYY form.

    Kym

    In your WinXP Regional Settings - try having a quick look into the settings
    by clicking on Customize (Regional Options - Customize - Date - Short Date)
    - although you are setup as English(Australia) somewhere along the way it's
    possible somebody selectively changed the date format (Seen this happen here
    with English{Ireland}).

    Steve

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Ensure dates imported into Excel 2003 are shown in DD/MM/YYY form.

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 00:43:02 -0800, "KymY" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Have recently upgraded to a new XP Pro PC with Office 2003
    >
    >However when exportng accounting reports from MYOB Premier 8, I now find
    >that Excel treats the MYOB dd/mm/yyyy format dates (Australian format) as
    >mm/dd/yyyy (US format)
    >
    >My Win XP Region setting is Australia and my Language setting is English
    >(Australian)
    >
    >How can I adjust the Excel Options to ensure the defualt date format for new
    >Excel sheets is dd/mm/yyyy ? (there's nothing on this in the International
    >tab)
    >
    >Kym Yeoward
    >Alice Springs NT
    >Australia

    Frequently, when this sort of problem is reported, and both the Control
    Panel/Regional Settings as well as the Excel formats are correct, the actual
    problem turns out to be the format of the exported data (from MYOB).

    If MYOB is exporting data in the US format, then Excel will convert some of the
    data to Australian format and leave some of the data as text.

    If you could give some examples of the actual data; and also execute an
    ISTEXT() function on the erroneous data, we could better help.

    --ron

  4. #4

    Re: Ensure dates imported into Excel 2003 are shown in DD/MM/YYY form.

    > If MYOB is exporting data in the US format, then Excel will convert
    some of the
    > data to Australian format and leave some of the data as text.
    >
    > If you could give some examples of the actual data; and also execute

    an
    > ISTEXT() function on the erroneous data, we could better help.

    The problem appears to be with MYOB. You can 'fix' this (at least
    generate proper dates in dd/mm/yyyy format) by applying the following
    formula (assuming that the MYOB date you want to alter is in cell B4):

    =IF(ISTEXT(B4),DATE(RIGHT(B4,4),MID(B4,4,2),LEFT(B4,2)),DATE(YEAR(B4),DAY(B4),MONTH(B4)))

    This checks whether the cell is 'text' (i.e. Excel has been unable to
    convert it to a date). If it is text, the formula constructs an
    appropriate date by parsing the text string. If the date has been
    interpreted as a date by Excel, the formula swaps the month and day to
    give the proper date, as MYOB intended.

    RC.