.xls email attachments are arriving at the recipient as .dat file.

  1. #1
    UK-Graham
    Guest

    .xls email attachments are arriving at the recipient as .dat file.

    I am running Excel 2003 and yesterday I emailed (using Outlook 2003) twice to
    different addresses at the same client with .xls attachments. Both times the
    attachments arrived as .dat files. When I sent myself one of the messages as
    a test, it arrived with the attachment OK and uncorrupted. Any ideas? is it
    their virus protection maybe?

  2. #2
    Gordon
    Guest

    Re: .xls email attachments are arriving at the recipient as .datfile.

    UK-Graham wrote:
    > I am running Excel 2003 and yesterday I emailed (using Outlook 2003) twice to
    > different addresses at the same client with .xls attachments. Both times the
    > attachments arrived as .dat files. When I sent myself one of the messages as
    > a test, it arrived with the attachment OK and uncorrupted. Any ideas? is it
    > their virus protection maybe?

    I would suggest that you are sending in Rich Text Format and your
    clients are not using Outlook as their email client. Try sending using
    plain text or HTML format instead.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  3. #3
    Lady Layla
    Guest

    Re: .xls email attachments are arriving at the recipient as .dat file.

    What email program are they using?

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: .xls email attachments are arriving at the recipient as .dat file.

    Try sending in "Plain Text" format to all receivers.

    Some email clients(Outlook Express for one) do not handle Rich Text Format and
    change the files to *.dat

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Gordon

    Gord Dibben wrote:
    > Try sending in "Plain Text" format to all receivers.
    >
    > Some email clients(Outlook Express for one) do not handle Rich Text
    > Format and change the files to *.dat

    Think you'll find it's *all* email clients other than Outlook!
    :-)