Range name special characters

  1. #1
    Charley Kyd
    Guest

    Range name special characters

    A quick test shows that Excel allows only two special characters to begin a
    name: \ and _. That is, I can define these two names:

    \Foo
    _Foo

    I've used the second version occasionally, but never the first. Has anyone
    used the first version much? Have you found any practical problems with it?

    Thanks.

    Charley Kyd
    ExcelUser.com

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Range name special characters

    I've never used \, and never would, since XL's documentation says that
    only a letter or an underscore may start a name.

    While you may not have problems now, there's no guarantee that future
    versions won't have a problem with \, nor that \ will work in
    international versions.

    Besides, in VBA, \ is the integer division operator, so I'd probably get
    confused.

    'In article <[email protected]>,

  3. #3
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Range name special characters

    Charley Kyd wrote...
    >A quick test shows that Excel allows only two special characters to

    begin a
    >name: \ and _. That is, I can define these two names:
    >
    >\Foo
    >_Foo
    >
    >I've used the second version occasionally, but never the first. Has

    anyone
    >used the first version much? Have you found any practical problems

    with it?

    It provides partial compatibility with Lotus 123 macro names, which in
    123R2 always began with \. However, as Microsoft has been removing 123
    compatibility features over the past few releases, it may be just a
    matter of time before support for \ in defined names is completely
    eliminated. Best not to use it.

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove