cell format

  1. #1
    tlee
    Guest

    cell format

    I have a vlookup formula.
    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP($A7,avail,7,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP($A7,avail,7,FALSE))

    the formula is looking for a date.
    the formula works fine. but what is happening is that if it finds the item
    and then column 7 is blank. the formula returns the following. 01/00/00

    how can i get it so it doesnot return anything at all if there is nothing in
    the column.

  2. #2

    Re: cell format

    What do you want to see?

    I'm guessing nothing:

    =if(iserror(yourformula),"",if(yourformula="","",yourformula))

    alternatively since you want to see "" in either case.

    =IF(ISERROR(1/LEN(yourformula)),"",yourformula)

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: cell format

    Just another 2 options to play with ..

    a. Suppress extraneous zeros from showing in the sheet via:
    Click Tools > Options > View tab > Uncheck "Zero values" > OK

    b. Set another IF condition for the return to be null: ""
    if the VLOOKUP returns a zero, i.e. try something like:

    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP($A7,avail,7,FALSE)),"",IF(VLOOKUP($A7,avail,7,FALSE)=0,"
    ",VLOOKUP($A7,avail,7,FALSE))

    [ I'd usually go for the easier option (a) ]

    --
    Rgds
    Max
    news:[email protected]...