Help with a simple formula

  1. #1
    PghPatti
    Guest

    Help with a simple formula

    I'm new and trying to learn Excel so please excuse the simple questions. I
    want to create a formula on a spread sheet that will subtract the number that
    I will put in a new cell every month from a cell that never changes. This
    cell - with the answer - sits below the spreadsheet.

    PghPatti

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Help with a simple formula

    If I understand you correctly, you will need 3 cells. One cell, say A1, is
    the cell that never changes. The second cell, say B1, is the cell into
    which you type a number. The third cell, say C1, is the cell that has the
    answer of the second cell subtracted from the first cell. In the third cell
    type:
    =A1-B1
    HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    PghPatti
    Guest

    Re: Help with a simple formula

    Thanks sdo much for your quick reply but I may not have explained myself
    clearly. The second number will be in a different cell each month - at the
    bottom of a column. I will want/need to leave the number from the previous
    month as it is and enter a new number below that each month. What I will want
    in a cell with the answer is the current difference between the monthly
    number and the beginning number. Does that sound clear as mud - LOL!
    Thanks for your help!

    Pat

  4. #4
    llhughes
    Guest

    RE: Help with a simple formula

    If you hit F4 in the formula or type $ before the letter and cell number for
    the cell that never changes and it will create an absolute value for that
    cell. You can copy that formula and the value of that cell in the formula
    will not change. =$A$1*B1

  5. #5
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: Help with a simple formula

    With the starting number in A1 and the monthly number the last entry in
    column B then:

    =A1-LOOKUP(2,1/B1:B65535,B1:B65535)

    will subtract the latest monthly number from the starting number

    Note that 65535 is one number short of a full column - the formula will not
    work with full columns. If you have any other data in the monthly column
    then reduce the 'B' column range to suit.

    HTH

    Sandy

    --
    to e-mail direct replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk

  6. #6
    PghPatti
    Guest

    RE: Help with a simple formula

    Now it's me that doesn't understand you. I guess I need to tell you - I'm
    blonde - an older one to boot - so it takes some explaining for me. Let me
    see if I can show you what I need and you can give me the formula.

    A B C D
    432 375 200
    420 370 190
    419 225 189
    398 200 243

    The number 432 will never change - actually none of the numbers in columns A
    B or C will change once they are entered - but I will be always adding a new
    number each month - and each year I will add a new column. The one cell in
    column D should always be the difference between the last number in Column C
    (which will always change) and the number in A1. I realize that every year
    when I have to start a new column I will have to move the cell that I now
    have in column D or maybe I can just move it down below the 12 rows.

    Can you explain the formula that I need to put in there? I could just put
    the formula in there but I'd really like to learn what I am doing. Thanks
    bunches!

    PghPatti

  7. #7
    llhughes
    Guest

    RE: Help with a simple formula

    I don't really think that will work. Whenever you add a new cell you would
    need to change the formula to reflect the new cell. It would be better to add
    a new column to enter your formula and drag the formula down to complete the
    math every month. A B C D formula
    D results
    432 375 200 =$A$1-C1 232
    420 370 190 =$A$1-C2 242
    419 225 189 =$A$1-C3 243
    398 200
    Hope this is what you meant.

  8. #8
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Help with a simple formula

    All the "older" blondes I know are pretty foxy, so one really doesn't mind
    explaining *anything* to them (relating to XL *of course*).

    Since you're adding a new column every month, how about entering this
    formula in A13, and then simply drag across the columns each month to copy :

    =$A$2-LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,A1:A12)
    --
    HTH,

    RD

  9. #9
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Help with a simple formula

    You should perhaps, change the $A$2 to $A$1.
    My fingers always seem to get confused on the keyboard when addressing
    blondes.<g>

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

    :

    > =$A$2-LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,A1:A12)
    > --
    > HTH,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  10. #10
    PghPatti
    Guest

    RE: Help with a simple formula

    llhughes:
    Thanks sooo much - that last suggestion works just great. I really
    appreciate it. My questiion is - in the Excel class I took we didn't do any
    formulas with the dollar signs in them - what does that do. I tried the
    formula without them - LOL - and as you would know - it didn't work - proving
    to me that for whatever reason they are needed.

  11. #11
    PghPatti
    Guest

    Re: Help with a simple formula

    Ragdyer

    Thanks! The neat thing about it on these boards is there is no
    discrimination - LOL - when I say "older" I REALLY mean OLDER.

    Seriously tho - I am learning so much just reading all the posts and answers
    - you guys/gals are all just great to spend your time helping everyone - even
    us newbies to Excel - and it is greatly appreciated.

    PghPatti

  12. #12
    PghPatti
    Guest

    RE: Help with a simple formula

    I'm so sorry - I was just reading back in the posts and saw where you did
    answer my question about the dollar sign. Thanks bunches!

  13. #13
    Houston, Texas

    The Dollar Sign

    Patty, the dollar sign "$A1" signifies an Absolute Mode, where "A1" is relative mode. For instance, if the cell references $A1 appears in a formula contained in cell D3 that is drag-copied to cells in the same column, all the cell references will start with $A. In other words, it is the same value ("A1 vs. $A1 or $A$1) its just a way of wheather or not what happens if you drag and copy to other cells. If you have a formula in A3 that reads "=$a$1" and you copy this cell anywhere in the sheet, the result (and formula) will be the same ("=$a$1"). But if you have a formula in A3 of "=$a1" and copy it to another cell, say A4, the formula will add the number of cells from the distance of the start point to the formula, in this case 1. so the formula would read "=$A2". If you move over a column or two, say C3 and pasted it, the formula would show "=$A3". Summary, it keeps the same letter/number that is in the formula, no matter where you paste it. Hope this helped you.

    Rick
    RickB