Linking to a Password Protected Document in Excel 2000

  1. #1
    Andrew
    Guest

    Linking to a Password Protected Document in Excel 2000

    I have a document that is password protected. I also have a file that
    references the protected files for many of the its formulas. Each time I open
    the file and update the links I am prompted multiple times (once for each
    cell reference to the protected file) for the password. Is there any setting
    so that a user is only prompted once for the password to a reference file
    that is protected?

    I know that one option is just to copy the tabs from my referencing file
    into the protected file, but it would be nice to keep the documents separate.

    Thanks,
    Andrew

  2. #2
    Chad
    Guest

    RE: Linking to a Password Protected Document in Excel 2000

    One option might be to disable the prompt for the links. Go to Tools\Options
    and click on the Edit tab. Deselect the "Ask to update automatic links"
    checkbox.

  3. #3

    Re: Linking to a Password Protected Document in Excel 2000

    Another option is to open all those password protected workbooks, then open the
    "real" workbook.

    saved from a previous post:

    Maybe you could create a macro that would open all those workbooks first.

    Your macro would supply both the workbook's name and password.

    Then after all these workbooks are open, you could open the file that contains
    the links.

    Kind of like:

    option explict
    sub auto_open()
    dim wkbk1 as workbook
    dim wkbk2 as workbook
    dim wkbk3 as workbook

    set wkbk1 = workbooks.open(filename:="c:\a.xls",password:="one")
    set wkbk2 = workbooks.open(filename:="c:\b.xls",password:="two")
    set wkbk3 = workbooks.open(filename:="c:\c.xls",password:="three")

    'wkbk3 is the real one!

    wkbk1.close savechanges:=false
    wkbk2.close savechanges:=false
    'thisworkbook.close savechanges:=false
    end sub

    (I'd create a 4th workbook that opens the files in order and just closes the
    first 2 and then itself.)