Ranking

  1. #1
    Thrava
    Guest

    Ranking

    Hello folks,

    I have a list of about 350 sales reps. I like to be able
    to rank them automatically based on the numbers that
    appear in front of their name in column B.

    These numbers are in percent with one decimal point
    accuracy.

    some of the reps of course have the same percent so they
    need to be given the same ranking.

    Example
    Name percent Rank
    Sharif 78.4% 1
    Aljandro 66.9% 2
    Flora 66.9% 2
    Yusef 59% 3
    John 48% 4
    Anna 48% 4

    What formul in the column for ranking can I use to
    automate this please?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Ranking

    If there are ties for second place then there is no third place
    assume the values are in B1:B6

    =RANK(B1,$B$1:$B$6,)

    copy down

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Thrava
    Guest

    Re: Ranking

    Peo,
    thank you for your help on this.
    What do you mean there is no third place?

  4. #4
    Ken Russell
    Guest

    Re: Ranking

    He means if you have for example four contestants. A scores 90, B & C score
    80 and D scores 70.

    The ranking is;
    First: A
    equal Second: B & C
    Fourth: D

    Similarly, if three people tied for Second, then the next rank would be
    Fifth.
    --
    Ken Russell

    [email protected]
    Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail
    ..

  5. #5
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Ranking

    Try the formula and see. RANK() returns 1,2,2,4,5,5 as the ranks for
    your data.

    Jerry

  6. #6
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Ranking

    Think of it in terms of prize money.

    2 people tied for second equally share the combined second and third place
    reward, leaving the fourth place prize money to be awarded to the next
    (4th) place holder.

    It wouldn't be fair if they had to split second place money, where the next
    place holder would receive a larger (3rd) individual, undivided prize, even
    though he came in with a lesser score then the other two.

    RD

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Ranking

    You can force it to have unique ranks with

    =RANK(B1,$B$1:$B$6)+COUNTIF($B$1:B1,B1)-1

    RP