Need to save file for mainframe

  1. #1
    Rick
    Guest

    Need to save file for mainframe

    I have data that has been pulled in from a query in access and saved as a tab
    delimited file. I have then imported it into Excel with the hope of
    formatting this data into the proper specs for upload to a MainFrame. I want
    to pad some of the fields with either an empty space or with zeroes. Within
    Excel I have created a custom filter to accomplish this task. When I export
    however, I am unable to save the file with the proper formatting (no matter
    how I save this file). I end up with a tab delimited file instead of being
    able to combine theses fields with the proper zeroes or spaces. Can anyone
    help with this?

    Example:
    1-2 record code
    3-14 Numeric
    15-24 Numeric
    25-36 Amount
    37-44 Date
    etc,etc...

    Rick

  2. #2
    dlv
    Guest

    RE: Need to save file for mainframe

    set the column width to the field length and save as Formatted Text (space
    delimited)

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Need to save file for mainframe

    Rick,

    It sounds as if you need a fixed-width-field file, not a delimited file.
    This can be done by saving as "space-delimited (prn)", if you set it up
    properly. Look at www.smokeylake.com/excel. "Text files and Excel."
    Section "Writing a text file from an Excel sheet." "Space-delimited." The
    numeric fields will be padded with spaces, unless you format the column for
    the zeroes. Format - Cells - Number - Custom: 00000 (for 5 characters
    total).

    There's also a section about writing a fixed-length file with formulas and
    the Text Write Program (available there). Try the method above first.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...