excel locks up after selecting a cell

  1. #1
    sandenscot
    Guest

    excel locks up after selecting a cell

    I have a laptop...so the problem is not a scrolling mouse wheel.....when I
    select a cell in the workbook it will not let it go....as I move the mouse
    around it keeps selecting all the sells as if i have the mouse held
    down....do not appear to have a key stuck either......however...when the cell
    is selected...(before i click the cursor in a cell) i can move around to
    different cells with the arrow keys and it only selects one cell at a
    time...like it is suppose to...as soon as I click with the mouse the whole
    spreadsheet continues to be selected wherever i move the mouse...even if i
    move the mouse off the spreadsheet....it just keeps selecting all the cells
    in that direction....HELP

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: excel locks up after selecting a cell

    A common cause of this is that you are in "Extended" or "Add" mode.

    If you see "EXT" or "ADD" down on the status bar try hitting F8 key a couple
    of times.

    F8 will will toggle you in and out of Extended mode. SHIFT + F8 will put you
    in "ADD" mode.

    If you are using a wheel-mouse tap the wheel a couple times.

    Also see David McRitchie's "Ghosting" at

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  3. #3
    sandenscot
    Guest

    Re: excel locks up after selecting a cell

    the add ore extended modes is not what it does......with those problems you
    need to keep clicking the mouse.....what happens is that I click ONCE and
    then as I move the mouse around, without clicking, it continues to highlight
    everything i move the cursor over....if i move the cursor to the bottom off
    the sheet...like over the task bar...it continues to select down the
    sheet...hundreds and hundred of cells...I must then close it out and
    reopen...it still does it...then i restarted the computer and it went
    away...but it will come back again...by the way, once i have one cell
    selected and it does what i described above...you cannot access anything on
    the screen or within any menus.....very strange.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: excel locks up after selecting a cell

    One correction to my post.........

    With the "ADD" mode you need to re-click the mouse. This is used to select
    non-contiguous cells and ranges without using the CTRL key.

    With the "EXT" mode you just click once and drag. All cells will be selected.

    Sounds to me like you are in "EXT" mode. Did you try the F8 key?

    Gord

  5. #5
    Scott
    Guest

    Re: excel locks up after selecting a cell

    NO, I am not in add ore ext mode. .....and I can select a cell and release
    the mouse.....not drag...and as I move the curser.....(not clicking the mouse
    at all)..it acts like I am dragging somewhere....I just move the mouse
    everywhere and it selects everything...if I move the cursor to the right it
    keeps selecting forever....cant access menus....have to close excel
    down...once this thing catches..nothing else is able to happen....cant even
    close excel the X button in the top right...have to right click on the
    taskbar and close......and as I am doing that...because I am off the
    worksheet...it continues to scroll down......F8 does n!!??othing....alt
    F8....everything doesnt work

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Auckland New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    Office Professional 2007
    When this happens, try pressing the left and right mouse buttons (or equivalent buttons on your laptop) at the same time. I've seen this work.

    Regards
    Mike

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: excel locks up after selecting a cell

    Scott

    If you have read the material on David McRitchie's site(URL was included in mu
    first post)and tried all the suggestions there, I have nothing else for you.

    Gord

  8. #8
    Mike R
    Guest

    Re: excel locks up after selecting a cell

    Check the Tap Sensor in your touch pad properties dialog window. I don't know
    for sure but on mine it is the "Buttons" tab, you will lok for "Turn off
    Click Lock". Hope this helps.

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor
    Auckland New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    Office Professional 2007
    Have you resolved this problem yet?

  10. #10
    bebonham
    Guest

    Re: excel locks up after selecting a cell

    wheel.....when I

    move the mouse

    mouse held

    either......however...when the cell

    move around to

    cell at a

    mouse the whole

    mouse...even if i

    selecting all the cells

    I feel you pal, I have the exact same problem, windows me office 2002
    sbe I have other machine and I have played with ext / add but I am sure
    you agree, it is _not_ that.

    here is what I can add to the description of the problem.

    1. It only happens when you click on the worksheet or the arrows at
    bottom that let you move thru the worksheets. You can use all the
    menus, open documents, edit them fine using the keyboard. If you click
    the worksheet or try to change worksheet by clicking then it breaks.

    2. When it breaks, it is _exactly_ like you had never released the
    mouse button. It prevents excel from recieving any other messages, but
    the system can still recieve clicks and keystrokes.

    3. I agree it occurs intermittently, but at the momement, even after
    many reboots, it is always happening.

    I haven't really tried anything to fix it yet. I am sure there are no
    viruses or spy/ad ware on the system. I don't have the office sbe
    disks handy, so I could try reparing or uninstall reinstall. I'm
    sceptical a repair would fix this.

    Since this is a new problem, could it have to do with any recent
    windows updates?
    (this occurred about jan 18 within 5 days)

    thanks for any input!!

  11. #11

    Having same excel lock up problem

    I, too, am having the same problem. I came here, read all the suggestions (and hyperlinked articles), tried them all - to no avail. This is happening on my desktop. No, it is not my mouse. Have tried that. No keys are functional once I click in a cell in the spreadsheet. Cursor becomes a crosshair and not a "pointer" once I click in a cell. Can only close program with CTRL-ALT-DEL.

    I read the same problem in my searches on this forum back to last year. I tried uninstalling MS Office (2000) completely, reinstalled. No difference. I uninstalled again, reinstalled a newer version (MS Office 2003) - no change.

    Now . . . I have another desktop pc and a laptop. I can copy the file to either of those computers and it opens and edits fine.

    Meanwhile, Excel is useless on this pc. Was wondering if anyone has found a reason - or, better yet - a solution yet?

    Thanks,
    jdsev

  12. #12

    Re: excel locks up after selecting a cell

    Hi All,

    I have had the same exact problem intermittently for over a year. I do not think this is a recent windows update problem. I use a laptop with XP and MS Excel 2000. I am still looking for a solution. In the meantime the only thing that regains normal excel is a reboot.

  13. #13

    It seems to happen when using Ctrl

    My friend's laptop seems to have the same problem, but it only seems to occur when he uses the ctrl key while he's selecting a region. I suspect, therefore, that the problem must lie in the settings for the touchpad, or the way that the touchpad interacts with the keyboard. If this is the case, then there isn't a lot that can be done about it, since it is evidently a hardware fault, and not a fault with excel as such.