Calculating number of letters in a string ...

  1. #1
    Larry Wallis
    Guest

    Calculating number of letters in a string ...

    Looking for a way to calculate the number of characters in a text string. I
    can use the LEN function.

    e.g. If A1 contains "News Group", the number of characters is 9. Using the
    LEN(A1) formula would give me 10 (includes the space).

    How can I use this formula to omit the space?

    Thanks.

    Larry.

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Calculating number of letters in a string ...

    Try this:

    =LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Geovas
    Guest

    Re: Calculating number of letters in a string ...

    suppose the Word "News Group" is in cell A1 use the following formula in B1:
    =LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))

    This will first substitute all spaces in the string with nothing and then
    return the length of the new string giving you the desired length....

    Hope this Helps

    Ï "Larry Wallis" <[email protected]> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞ*õìá
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Larry Wallis
    Guest

    Re: Calculating number of letters in a string ...

    Thanx RD.

    Larry.

    "Ragdyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Try this:
    >
    > =LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))
    > --
    > HTH,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  5. #5
    Larry Wallis
    Guest

    Re: Calculating number of letters in a string ...

    And thanx to u too Geovas.

    Larry.

    news:[email protected]...