Help! Keep formulas from updating refs when copied??

  1. #1
    Ed
    Guest

    Help! Keep formulas from updating refs when copied??

    This is getting frustrating! I've got a series of summary tables on one
    page. Each table is taking data from the exact same locations on other
    sheets (that is, one table will use Sheet1!B3, and the next table
    Sheet2!B3). But each time I try to copy the summary table down the page,
    hoping to simply change Sheet1! to Sheet2!, the B3 reference will
    automatically update the number of rows I've copied down, and B3 is now B7!
    I tried Copy>>Paste Special (Formulas), but I keep getting the same update
    frustration! Any help?

    Ed

  2. #2
    HansM
    Guest

    Re: Help! Keep formulas from updating refs when copied??

    This is where you use the function key F4 or manually insert the absolute
    mark $ in front and after the cell letter reference.

    Ie. what used to be A1 becomes $A$1 and now won't change the 1 when you
    copy.

    Experiment with using a $ mark on one side or the other to see how that can
    also be helpful sometimes.
    --
    Hans
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ed
    Guest

    Re: Help! Keep formulas from updating refs when copied??

    Thanks for the reply, Hans. I understand the $ - I didn't want to have to
    it simply defined it as "Absolute/Relative". But I don't understand how to
    use it. Can you explain a bit more?

    Ed

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Guillermo
    Guest

    Re: Help! Keep formulas from updating refs when copied??

    The problem is that sometimes you don't really want the $ sign, because you
    actaully need the values to change while constructing the table, and then
    the only thing you need is to make an exact copy of your table.
    I asked that before, and I really wish there was a "Paste exactly the same"
    option in paste special, just like what happens when you cut and paste, but
    leaving a copy in its original place. I have excel 2000 and I don't think
    they've put something like that in all the newer versions...

    a trick that works is:
    select your range
    edit/replace...... replace all "=" with something uncommon like #####
    then you copy and paste (the formulas are no longer formulas so they won't
    change)
    then edit/replace #### with "=" again

    guillermo

  5. #5
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Help! Keep formulas from updating refs when copied??

    John Walkenbach has that very option in his PUP6 addin, as well as a hell of
    a lot more:-

    http://j-walk.com/ss/pup/pup6/index.htm

    There is a trial version on that link as well.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Help! Keep formulas from updating refs when copied??

    <snip>

  7. #7
    Ed
    Guest

    Re: Help! Keep formulas from updating refs when copied??

    That sounds like an excellent idea, Guillermo. Thanks for the tip!

    Ed

  8. #8
    Bill Ridgeway
    Guest

    Re: Help! Keep formulas from updating refs when copied??

    One further point on the use of absolute references.

    If the two worksheets (pages) are in the same spreadsheet (file) you can
    move the source cell and the absolute reference will change accordingly. If
    however they are in different spreadsheets this will not, of course occur.

    The moral of the story is to keep such cross references in the same file and
    you will reduce the possibility of errors occurring.

    Regards.

    Bill Ridgeway
    Computer Solutions