Formulas

  1. #1
    Theresa
    Guest

    Formulas

    How do I set up a formula that will deduct from a beginning balance and keep
    an ending balance as I add items to be deducted?

  2. #2
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    RE: Formulas

    One way is to use the SUM() function for your total (ending balance) and
    enter the amounts to be deducted as negative values by using a minus sign or
    enclosing them in parentheses.

    You could also build a formula such as =A1-A2-A3-A4, etc.

    Other ways are also possible.

    Hope this helps |:>)

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Houston, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa
    How do I set up a formula that will deduct from a beginning balance and keep
    an ending balance as I add items to be deducted?
    Assume that your beginning balance is in Cell B1 and you want to deduct an entry in Cell A2, then your formula

    =B1-A2 (enter this in, say, Cell B2, to get a balance)

    As you enter more items in Column A, just copy down the formula in Cell B2 until your requirements are met.

    However, if you just want one ending balance after all the transactions are entered, then this is the formula that you need

    =B1-sum(A2:A100)

    where

    B1 = the cell where you have your beginning balance and
    (A2:A100) is the assumed range of the entries that need to be deducted from your beginning balance.

    Just adjust the range (A2:A100) to suit your requirements.

    Hope this helps you.
    BenjieLop
    Houston, TX