Saved *.csv file gives SYLK file type warning upon Excel 2003 open

  1. #1
    Tom
    Guest

    Saved *.csv file gives SYLK file type warning upon Excel 2003 open

    I've created a *.csv file "MyOutput.csv" that has about 2000 rows and 15
    columns of text data from an application. When browsing via Windows Explorer
    to the file off the root of C:\ and double-clicking, I get a message that
    says:
    "Excel has detected that the 'MyOutput.csv' is a SYLK file, but cannot load
    it. Either the file has errorsa or it is not a SYLK file. Click OK to try
    to openn the file in a different format."
    Upon clicking on OK, the MyOutput.csv file loads finei into Excel 2003. I
    just need to re-adjust the column widths.
    What's causing the SYLK 'false-error' message.
    TIA,
    Tom

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Saved *.csv file gives SYLK file type warning upon Excel 2003 open

    I think the problem is that the first two characters of your text file
    are "ID". This identifies the text file as a SYLK (SYmbolic LinK) file.

  3. #3
    Tom
    Guest

    Re: Saved *.csv file gives SYLK file type warning upon Excel 2003

    You're EXACTLY right!! How'd you ever know that???? What is an SYLK file
    anyway? What are they used for and why?
    TIA!!!!
    Tom

  4. #4
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Saved *.csv file gives SYLK file type warning upon Excel 2003

    They are text files that improve on CSV by including formulas and formatting
    as well as cell contents. You know that if you are old enough <g>.

  5. #5
    JE McGimpsey

    Myrna Larson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You know that if you are old enough <g>