error opening excel file

  1. #1
    jp
    Guest

    error opening excel file

    hi!
    i cannot open this excel file, an microsoft visual basic window appear
    saying "An error occur while loading 'Sheet32111111111111111111111111'. Do
    you want to continue loading the project?"

    i click yes, microsoft window appear and asking if i want to update this
    workbook? then i click no a Program Error window appear saying " An error
    log is being created"
    what happen to the excel file?
    the excel file is only 2.6Mb

  2. #2

    Re: error opening excel file

    There is a bug in xl97 (fixed in xl2k, IIRC) that allowed worksheet codenames to
    get too long.

    I _think_ that newer versions of excel will open the workbook and correct this
    error.

    If you're using xl2k (maybe xl2002+), then I remember incorrectly.

    But if you're still using xl97, maybe you can find a user that has xl2002+ and
    try to open the workbook there. Then either excel will fix it or maybe you can
    modify the codename yourself.

    If that doesn't work, maybe OpenOffice can handle it and fix the problem.

    (http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD)

  3. #3
    john.bedford3
    Guest

    Re: error opening excel file

    I was very interested in your reply as I use xl97 and have noticed in one of
    my workbooks the following.

    Of the 54 sheets in the book 11 of them are numbered as follows :-

    Sheet21
    Sheet211
    Sheet2111
    Sheet21111
    Sheet211111
    Sheet2111111
    Sheet21111111
    Sheet211111111
    Sheet2111111111
    Sheet21111111111
    Sheet211111111111

    I did not create the sheets with these numbers but that is how they appear
    now. Although I have not had any problem with the workbook so far, is this a
    potential problem? So far no data has been entered in these sheets so they
    could be deleted and recreated.

    --
    John
    Delete extra @ to reply.

  4. #4

    Re: error opening excel file

    It looks like it could be a potential problem--depending on what you do with
    those worksheets.

    I think the next time I was in the VBE, I'd change the codenames of those
    sheets.

    Hit F4 to see the properties and type over the (Name) property to something
    shorter in length.

    xl97 had a bug that occurred when you copied a worksheet, then made a copy of
    that copy, then made a copy of that copy....

    After 31 characters, xl gets really upset!

    You can read more about here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q236299/
    You receive an "An error occurred while loading
    'Sheet1111111111111...' " error message when you open a file
    in Excel 2000

    In fact, there's a link in that article that points a download that maybe able
    to fix that problem. (I've never used it, but it says it works.)

  5. #5
    john.bedford3
    Guest

    Re: error opening excel file

    Thanks Dave

    I have now got rid of the extra long sheet codenames. I shall keep an eye on
    that for the future.

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Re: error opening excel file

    Better to fix it when it's easily fixed.

  7. #7
    john.bedford3
    Guest

    Re: error opening excel file