Transfering information to the next free cell in a column

  1. #1
    Chaudfeu
    Guest

    Transfering information to the next free cell in a column

    I'm trying to set up a worksheets to track the spending of two people by
    amount and category. Since it's the shared expenses of two people I'm trying
    to keep track of who each purchase was made by (so a person 1 total, person 2
    total).

    QUESTION
    Is there a way for an expense that is in a certain category to be transfered
    to the next available cell in a column?

    BACKGROUND
    I set it up by making one sheet for input and one to display the
    information. The input having columns for person/category/amount and the
    display showing columns for categories and each person's total.

    I knew to use Conditional sums to bring anything for person 1 to one total
    in a specified cell, likewise for person 2.

    *I would like the display page to list EACH purchase in a category not just
    a total of all purchases*

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Transfering information to the next free cell in a column

    Hi

    One way would be o use a combination of SUBTOTAL and AUTOFILTER.

    Insert a row at the top of your input sheet.
    At the head of the amount column, (assumed to be column C)enter the formula
    =SUBTOTAL(9,C3:C1000)
    Make the range in the formula big enough to cover the likely range of the
    data you will be enetering.
    Highlight the range of your data and choose Filter=>Data=>Autofilter

    Use the filter to select the category and the person and in C1 you will see
    the Total value and showing on the screen will be all of the items making up
    the total.

    Alternatively, take a look at using Pivot Tables. You will find an excellent
    coverage of the basics of using Pivot Tables at Debra Dalgliesh's site at

    Regards
    Roger Govier
    news:[email protected]...