MAX function help please?

  1. #1
    Guest

    MAX function help please?

    Hi Everyone,

    Could someone PLEASE help me with the following problem I have been pulling
    my hair out trying to solve?

    I have index numbers from 1 to 6 in A1:A6.
    I have the results from 6 calculations in B1:B6.
    In B7 I have the function 'MAX' of the results in B1:B6.

    What I would like in A7 is the corresponding index number to B7 (The index
    number from A1:A6 that corresponds to the Max of B1:B7). (I hope I explained
    that correctly!)

    I would be grateful for any help anyone can offer.

    Best wishes

    Darrell Burnett.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    =offset(a1,match(b7,b1:b6,0)-1,0)
    not a professional, just trying to assist.....

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: MAX function help please?

    Darrell,

    INDEX(A1:A6,MATCH(B7,B1:B6,0))
    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:HE8Sd.3391$%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: MAX function help please?

    No need for A1:A6 or B7

    In A7 =MATCH(MAX(B1:B6),B1:B6,0)

    Note though, in the case of a tie it will return the first match only.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

  5. #5
    Guest

    Re: MAX function help please?

    Hi Ken and Earl,

    Thank you so much, both of you, for your invaluable help.

    Sincere best wishes

    Darrell Burnett.