Fill series of letters?

  1. #1
    Andy1973
    Guest

    Fill series of letters?

    Is there a way of getting Excel to fill a series of letters, so that a given
    cell value of A would increase in succeeding cells to B, C,.....Y, Z, AA,
    AB... ?

  2. #2
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    Take a look at Help in Excel for "Create a custom fill series or sorting order"

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Fill series of letters?

    Surprisingly enough, Redmond, in their infinite wisdom, has chosen not to
    include the alphabet of the countries within the Custom Lists.

    You have to "roll your own".

    Enter the alphabet in a column, and then select the column.
    Then,
    <Tools> <Options> <CustomLists> tab,
    The "Import List From Cells" box should already contain the range you
    selected containing your alphabet.
    Simply click on "Import", then <OK>,
    And you now have the alphabet (both upper & lower case, irrespective of
    which one you entered), included in the lists, together with the days of the
    week and the months.

    However, you included in your question "AA", "AB".
    If you really want this, then you'll have to enter the entire list, as you
    wish it to auto increment, into a column and re-import it to the Custom List
    file.
    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Andy1973
    Guest

    Re: Fill series of letters?

    Many thanks to RagDyer, though trying the full 702 range (a to zz) makes
    Excel burp: it appears to accept the full range, but when I use it in Fill
    Series...Autofill it goes only as far as yy, then restarts at a,b.... I can
    live with that, though if anyone can explain why Excel (2000 Professional)
    uses only the first 675 items of an instructed sequence of 702 I'd love to
    know. (? 26^2 -1 ?)

    I couldn't get Excel to accept differentiated cases as separate lists,
    either; but Autofill gives lower or upper according to the case of the head
    cell.

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Fill series of letters?

    > .. trying the full 702 range (a to zz)

    From a previous post by Bernie Deitrick in .worksheet.functions

    Put in any starting cell:

    =IF(ROW(A1) > 26, CHAR(INT((ROW(A1) - 1)/ 26) + 64) & CHAR(MOD(ROW(A1) -
    1,26) + 65), CHAR(ROW(A1) + 64))

    Copy down up to 702 rows to get the full range: A, B, .... ZZ

    To fill accross, change each ROW function in the formula to COLUMN,
    viz. use:

    =IF(COLUMN(A1) > 26, CHAR(INT((COLUMN(A1) - 1)/ 26) + 64) &
    CHAR(MOD(COLUMN(A1) - 1,26) + 65), CHAR(COLUMN(A1) + 64))

    --
    Rgds
    Max

  6. #6
    Andy1973
    Guest

    Re: Fill series of letters?

    Thank you: the formula (with all spaces removed!) works a treat.

  7. #7
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Fill series of letters?