Vlookup for two sheets in same workbook

  1. #1
    Roberta
    Guest

    Vlookup for two sheets in same workbook

    Ok. I am desparate. I've working on this for hours;

    I have VIN numbers in sheet 1 in the range I2:I5521

    I have VIN numbers in sheet 2 in the range G2:G4717.

    I need to see if the VIN numbers in sheet 2 are on sheet 1, of so highlight
    the cell or delete the VIN number. I'd really like to delete the duplicate.

  2. #2
    Roberta... try this

    in the cell in your second sheet type this

    ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A4,Sheet1!$I$1:$I,1,FALSE))

    and then copy your formula down, this should give you true or false all the way down

    then in the cell next to that type

    =(IF(H1=FALSE,"",H1))

    this will then give you a remaining list in your 3rd column to copy & paste special and become a replacement list to you original one

    Hope this helps

    Boo
    Last edited by boo_hiss_boo; 02-22-2005 at 05:56 PM.

  3. #3
    Trevor Shuttleworth
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup for two sheets in same workbook

    Roberta

    select column G in the second worksheet and name it "ColumnG" without the
    quotes.

    Then, select cells I2 down to I5521 in the first worksheet and choose Format
    Conditional Formatting...

    Change Condition 1 to: Formula: =VLOOKUP(I2,ColumnG,1,FALSE)=I2

    choose a suitable background colour to highlight the cell.

    You can then manually delete the cells/rows where the duplicate exists.

    Alternatively, you could just use the lookup in another column and then
    filter for TRUE on that column.

    Regards

    Trevor

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Roberta
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup for two sheets in same workbook

    Hi Trevor. I intentionally placed a duplicate VIN no in sheet 2 and followed
    your instructions and nothing showed up as duplicate.

    In the conditional formatting where the Formula Is:
    =vlookup(I2,ColumnG,1,False)=I2

    Its stating look in I2 column and Column G, if data matches? Not sure I can
    interpret the formula. Should False be true? Why just I2?

  5. #5
    Roberta
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup for two sheets in same workbook

    Ok...I replied too soon. I got it. What I did was selected the entire
    column G vs the cells in Col G that had data.

    Thanks for saving me.