How can deleted data reappear in a refreshed pivot table in Excel

  1. #1
    excel_user123456
    Guest

    How can deleted data reappear in a refreshed pivot table in Excel

    I am using Excel 2003. I have a worksheet full of data and built a pivot
    table on another sheet (within the existing datasheet). Nothing too
    complicated.

    I updated my data by pasting new data over the top of the old data and
    updated my pivot table.

    The problem is that in the pivot table one of the fields still allows me to
    select on data that no longer exists in the data. More specifically, I have
    a column in the base data entitled "Vendors" and have approximately 20
    different vendors that appear throughout the data. When I update my pivot
    table, in the vendor selection list I have the current 20 vendors....fine.
    However, I also have approximately 5 other vendors that were listed in old
    data that are not in the current data.

    How do I prevent the old data from appearing in the updated pivot table?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How can deleted data reappear in a refreshed pivot table in Excel

    Peo Sjoblom

    "excel_user123456" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    excel_user123456
    Guest

    Re: How can deleted data reappear in a refreshed pivot table in Ex

    I tried the solution you provided on the site...it didn't work. The
    information directly addressed the problem...that is what I'm trying to
    fix.....it just didn't fix it. I didn't try the visual basic solution as I
    am not familier with VB. Any other suggestions?

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: How can deleted data reappear in a refreshed pivot table in Ex

    Debra's code is very easy to use. The following is a step by step guide
    that will show you what you need to do:-

    Hit ALT+F11 and this will open the VBE (Visual Basic Editor)
    Top left you will hopefully see an explorer style pane. Within this pane
    you need to search for
    your workbook's name, and when you find it you may need to click on the + to
    expand it. Within
    that you should see the following:-

    VBAProject(Your_Filename)
    Microsoft Excel Objects
    Sheet1(Sheet1)
    Sheet2(Sheet2)
    Sheet3(Sheet3)
    ThisWorkbook

    If you have named your sheets then those names will appear in the brackets
    above as opposed to what you see at the moment in my note.

    Right click on the where it says VBAProject(Your_Filename) and choose
    'Insert Module' and it will now look like this

    VBAProject(Your_Filename)
    Microsoft Excel Objects
    Sheet1(Sheet1)
    Sheet2(Sheet2)
    Sheet3(Sheet3)
    ThisWorkbook
    Modules
    Module1

    Double click the Module1 bit and then paste in the following
    code starting at the Sub DeleteOldItemsWB() bit and finishing at the End Sub
    bit.

    Sub DeleteOldItemsWB()
    'gets rid of unused items in PivotTable
    ' based on MSKB (202232)
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim pt As PivotTable
    Dim pf As PivotField
    Dim pi As PivotItem

    On Error Resume Next
    For Each pt In ws.PivotTables
    pt.RefreshTable
    For Each pf In pt.VisibleFields
    If pf.Name <> "Data" Then
    For Each pi In pf.PivotItems
    If pi.RecordCount = 0 And _
    Not pi.IsCalculated Then
    pi.Delete
    End If
    Next
    End If
    Next
    Next
    Next

    End Sub

    Then hit File / Close and return to Microsoft Excel and save the file. Now
    to run it, just do Tools / Macro / Macros / DeleteOldItemsWB

    If you then want to get rid of the macro, then do the following:-

    Hit ALT+F11 and this will open the VBE (Visual Basic Editor)
    Top left you will hopefully see an explorer style pane. Within this pane
    you need to search for
    your workbook's name, and when you find it you may need to click on the + to
    expand it. Within
    that you should see the following:-

    VBAProject(Your_Filename)
    Microsoft Excel Objects
    Sheet1(Sheet1)
    Sheet2(Sheet2)
    Sheet3(Sheet3)
    etc..........................
    ThisWorkbook
    Modules
    Module1

    Right click on the Module1 and select remove. When prompted with a question
    re exporting, just hit no. Then hit File / Close and return to Microsoft
    Excel and save the
    file.

    --
    Regards