How do I copy part of each cell in a column?

  1. #1
    I should know this!
    Guest

    How do I copy part of each cell in a column?

    I have a column of data - ie: (1APB-0101) BFP Motor Valve
    I want to copy the information in ( ) to another column.
    How can I do this?

  2. #2
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: How do I copy part of each cell in a column?

    =MID(A1,FIND("(",A1)+1,FIND(")",A1)-FIND("(",A1)-1)
    and fill down

    "I should know this!" <I should know [email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How do I copy part of each cell in a column?

    One way:

    If all the items inside parens in the column are 9 characters long:

    =MID(A1,2,9)

    if the items inside parens vary in length (but are at the beginning):

    =MID(A1,2,FIND(")",A1)-2)

    if the items in parens may not be at the beginning:

    =MID(LEFT(A1,FIND(")",A1)-1),FIND("(",A1)+1,255)

    Where 255 is just a number larger than any potential string inside
    parens.

    In article <[email protected]>,