CONCATENATION evaluation problem?

  1. #1
    Gunkie
    Guest

    CONCATENATION evaluation problem?

    I probably didn't state that correctly, but...

    I'm trying to get a value written into a cell on one sheet (Sheet 1)
    from another sheet (Sheet 2). Easy enough to do when using '=' plus
    clicking on the cell whose value I want displayed.

    But, I want to concatenate the reference cell description as to
    automate this tool that I'm building as much as possible.

    For instance, I did the following in a cell on Sheet 1:

    ="Sheet2!C"&A2

    This simply displays:

    Sheet2!C1

    Where the '1' is the value in cell 'A2' on Sheet 1.

    I want this to display the value that resides on Sheet 2 in cell 'C1'.
    Adding the single quotes to surround the sheet make no difference, it
    just displays the single quotes as if it was part of the string.

    Do I need to explicitly instruct Excel to evaluate the apparent string
    as an argument?

    I'm lost.

    Thanks! I'm somewhat new to more advanced Excel stuff. Too bad it
    doesn't work like PERL

    Scott Ghiz
    www.SGSystems.com

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: CONCATENATION evaluation problem?

    =INDIRECT("Sheet2!C"&A2)

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gunkie
    Guest

    Re: CONCATENATION evaluation problem?

    Bob,

    THANKS A LOT! It works perfectly!

    I hope to one day have the experience to give back to this group.
    Thanks again (to everyone)!

    Scott Ghiz
    www.SGSystems.com