Formula help

  1. #1
    Mike R
    Guest

    Formula help

    Xl2000
    Been trying to get this right, and I think it is simple but I am not getting
    it. What I have is: Column B “amount Rec’d�, Column C “Purchases�, Column D
    “Cash out�, Column E “Balance�. I am trying to put together a formula in
    Column E that will only give a result when data is entered into either B, C,
    or D. Then be able to copy it all the way to row 36, and not have anything
    in Column E until data is entered into the corresponding row. I know this is
    easy but I am not getting it. Please Help

    Mike R.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Formula help

    Hi!

    Will you always enter data in B1, C1 and D1 as a group? If=20
    so, you can base your formula on whether or not D1 is=20
    empty. In E1 enter:

    =3DIF(D1=3D"","",Your_Formula_Here)

    With the above, E1 will remain blank until an entry is=20
    made in D1.

    Biff

    but I am not getting=20
    >it. What I have is: Column B =E2?oamount Rec=E2?Td=E2?=9D,=20

    Column C =E2?oPurchases=E2?=9D, Column D=20
    >=E2?oCash out=E2?=9D, Column E =E2?oBalance=E2?=9D. I am trying to=20

    put together a formula in=20
    >Column E that will only give a result when data is=20

    entered into either B, C,=20
    >or D. Then be able to copy it all the way to row 36, and=20

    not have anything=20
    >in Column E until data is entered into the corresponding=20

    row. I know this is=20

  3. #3
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: Formula help

    I suggest you adapt Biff's formula a little bit, as his only checks for info
    in one column. Change it to =IF(OR(B1<>"",C1<>"",D1<>""),<Enter your
    formula>,""). Then simply drag this formula down to the last row (36). this
    will check whether either column B, C or D has any value, and if so, will
    calculate your formula. If this test is false, cell in column E will remain
    blank

  4. #4
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: Formula help

    There are a number of possibilities here. The word either may mean that you
    will enter data into either B, C or D. In that case, the formula is :
    =IF(OR(B1<>"",C1<>"",D1<>""),<Enter your formula here>,"")
    If you want to enter data into column B, C and D before a culculation is
    done, then Biff's formula is correct.
    If you want to ensure that all these columns have data before a calculation
    is made, the formula is : =IF(OR(B1="",C1="",D1=""),"",<Enter your formula
    here>)

  5. #5
    Mike R
    Guest

    RE: Formula help

    Biff and Kassie Thank you for the post.
    It worked!!!! And Kassie your assumption was correct, these columns may or
    may not have data, the only truth was that there was to be at least one entry
    on each row. Is there any place to study how some symbols work in a formula?
    I would never have figured out D1<>"", for instance. And what is the
    difference between D1<>"" and D1="","",? I understand the IF statement, but
    how do you know which symbol means "null" or "empty". Thank you very much
    for sharing your education and therefore contributing to mine.

    Mike R.

  6. #6
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: Formula help

    Glad I could help, Mike. If I can transate into English: D1<>"" means that
    D1 is not equal to nothing, or then not equal to an empty cell. D1 ="",""
    means that if D1 is equal to nothing, then do not insert any value. And yes,
    read your Help File, my friend. At least you now know that "" means no
    value, nothing, empty. To choose which one to use, you have to logically
    figure out how Excel would trap conditions. If your formula read
    =IF(OR(B1="",C1="",D1=""),"",<Enter your formula>), the formula would only
    have worked correctly while B1 contained a value. Even if you swapped the
    last two arguments to read =IF(OR(B1="",C1="",D1=""),<Enter your
    formula>,""), the formula would not have worked because your formula would
    then calculate on an empty cell, hence the suggestion to use<> (not equal).
    In this manner, the first non-empty cell sets the trap, and your formula
    works.

  7. #7
    Mike R
    Guest

    RE: Formula help

    "Kassie" wrote:
    Kassie, Thanks for the post.

    As I set here smiling, amazed by how all this works, and thank you! Your
    explanation struck me as understandable "english" :-)...

    Mike R.