How can I change positive numbers to negative, i.e. change 50 to -

  1. #1
    godwingi
    Guest

    How can I change positive numbers to negative, i.e. change 50 to -

    I have a very long list of positive numbers that I have converted from a
    wordpad report. Actually it is our list of receivables. They have been
    converted from text, and therefore the ones that should be credits, or
    negative numbers (in context of receivables) appear as just plain positive
    numbers, such as 150.00. I don't know of a simpler way to turn these numbers
    to negative (i.e. -150.00) without F2'ing each one and putting a minus (-)
    sign in front of each one. It would save me so much time just to be able to
    change these numbers from positive to negative! If you could help me I sure
    would appreciate it!

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: How can I change positive numbers to negative, i.e. change 50 to -

    Hi

    type
    -1
    in an unused cell somewhere and copy it
    then select all the numbers you need to convert and then choose
    edit / paste special - MULTIPLY

    Cheers
    JulieD
    PS do on a backup of your workbook first to ensure that you get the outcome
    you want.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: How can I change positive numbers to negative, i.e. change 50 to -

    The simplest method would be to insert a column, and for each entry
    write a formula: =0-A1 (where A1 is the positive number- replace A1
    with your actual cell reference). Then copy the inserted column,
    highlight your original column, and Paste As values. Then delete the
    column you inserted.

  4. #4
    dlw
    Guest

    RE: How can I change positive numbers to negative, i.e. change 50 to -

    insert a column next to them / use the formula +a1*-1 / copy it down the
    column / copy those numbers / paste special - values over the original numbers
    or something like that

  5. #5
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: How can I change positive numbers to negative, i.e. change 50 to -

    "godwingi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a very long list of positive numbers that I have converted from a
    > wordpad report. Actually it is our list of receivables. They have been
    > converted from text, and therefore the ones that should be credits, or
    > negative numbers (in context of receivables) appear as just plain positive
    > numbers, such as 150.00. I don't know of a simpler way to turn these

    numbers
    > to negative (i.e. -150.00) without F2'ing each one and putting a minus (-)
    > sign in front of each one. It would save me so much time just to be able

    > change these numbers from positive to negative! If you could help me I

    sure
    > would appreciate it!

    -1 in a cell, select that cell, Copy, select your list of numbers, "Paste
    Special", Multiply
    --
    David Biddulph

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How can I change positive numbers to negative, i.e. change 50 to -

    Dave

    See Julie's answer for truly "simplest" method.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP