How do I convert a number formated as a date to text in Excel?

  1. #1
    BrotherNov
    Guest

    How do I convert a number formated as a date to text in Excel?

    I need to convert several columns of dates in excel to text. When I simply
    use the format cells command to reformat the cells to text, it first converts
    the date back to the underlying number then converts it to text. Hope I'm
    being clear here.

    Example - the date as viewed on the screen is Mon (Monday). When I convert
    it to text I get 38446. I want "Mon", in text format. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor mudraker's Avatar
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,983
    BrotherNov

    In a empty column in cell a1 enter this formula
    =TEXT(A1,"ddd")

    Autofill required cells with formula

    select the column with the formula in it
    copy cells
    paste.special > Values

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: How do I convert a number formated as a date to text in Excel?

    Brother,

    I think only a macro could convert your date to text. Perhaps if you tell
    us why you need it in actual text, there are other solutions.

    Perhaps

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    BrotherNov
    Guest

    Re: How do I convert a number formated as a date to text in Excel?

    I want to synchronize/transfer the spreadsheet to my Palm Handheld. Software
    on the Palm called "documents to go" allows users to work with native excel
    documents, however the cell formatting options are limited. The date formats
    I want to use aren't supported, so I figured that I would change it to text
    before transferring it to the Palm. I appreciate your fast response, and
    hope this bit of background helps!

  5. #5
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: How do I convert a number formated as a date to text in Excel?

    You can convert any number to text using the Text function. In your case,
    use:

    =Text(a1,"ddd")

    Fred
    Please reply to newsgroup, not e-mail

  6. #6
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: How do I convert a number formated as a date to text in Excel?

    Yup. To add to that, if that formula isn't supported by the Palm Handheld,
    you could copy, then Paste special - Values right over the original stuff
    (or elsewhere).

    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    BrotherNov
    Guest

    Re: How do I convert a number formated as a date to text in Excel?

    You guys rock! Thanks! I had tried the text function, but wasn't using the
    quote marks around the format. Thanks again!