Every cell is highlighted

  1. #1
    5hulses
    Guest

    Every cell is highlighted

    This is a new one for me. Afer opening up Excel '98 and go to a cell, every
    cell is highlighted when I move the mouse. I can not put any information in
    any cell. The only way to quit Excel is control, alt, delete and then it
    gives me "can not quit excel". It does though after a while. Wherever I
    move the mouse, the cells are highlighted. What gives?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Every cell is highlighted

    f8 key

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Every cell is highlighted

    A common cause of this is that you are in "Extended" or "Add" mode.

    If you see "EXT" or "ADD" down on the status bar try hitting F8 key a couple
    of times.

    F8 will will toggle you in and out of Extended mode. SHIFT + F8 will put you
    in "ADD" mode.

    With the "ADD" mode you need to re-click the mouse. This is used to select
    non-contiguous cells and ranges without using the CTRL key.

    With the "EXT" mode you just click once and drag. All cells will be selected.

    If you are using a wheel-mouse tap the wheel a couple times.

    Also see David McRitchie's "Ghosting" at

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    5hulses
    Guest

    Re: Every cell is highlighted

    what does the f8 key do?

  5. #5
    Don Ross
    Guest

    RE: Every cell is highlighted

    I have this same problem. F8 does nothing for me. There is no EXT or ADD at
    the bottom of the spreadsheet. It only happens on my laptop and not on my
    desktop.

    It's killin' me. Everytime it happens, I lose any data I've keyed and not
    saved.

  6. #6
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Every cell is highlighted

    Then join the crowd of those who have also been plagued by this "anomaly".

    Check out this link of David McRitchie:

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt

    --
    HTH,