Double Click .xls file in Explorer opens Excel but no file

  1. #1
    Kaypee
    Guest

    Double Click .xls file in Explorer opens Excel but no file

    Thanks all

    Double clicking on a .xls file within Windows Explorer opens Excel - but no
    files opens.

    Unless Excel is already open - then the file opens.

    Ideas??

  2. #2
    how are linking to the file..?? hyperlink or..??

  3. #3
    jerry
    Guest

    RE: Double Click .xls file in Explorer opens Excel but no file

    I have the same problem with WIN200 SP1 Excel. I would like to be notified
    of the fix so I don't have to reinstall the Office package.

  4. #4

    Re: Double Click .xls file in Explorer opens Excel but no file

    Sometimes one of these works:

    Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

    --- or ---

    Close Excel and
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /unregserver
    then
    Windows Start Button|Run
    excel /regserver

    factory defaults.

  5. #5
    jerry
    Guest

    Re: Double Click .xls file in Explorer opens Excel but no file

    I had the "Ignore other applications" checked. Unchecking this option
    resolved the problem. Thanks very much.