Data Validation

  1. #1
    peterm
    Guest

    Data Validation

    Hi All
    I have a data validation list which looks up data from a table
    when I add another product to the table How do I have it show up in the data
    list without having to go back to data validation and change cell ref:
    Cheers
    peterm

  2. #2
    Springbok
    Guest

    RE: Data Validation

    Hi Peter,

    The range should automatically update if you insert a new line between
    existing data in the range. Alternatively, use a larger range in yopur
    validation and tick the option "ignore blank".

    Cheers,
    Jon

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Data Validation

    Hi!

    Use a dynamic named range.

    Assume the source for the dropdown is in column G1:Gn.

    Goto Insert>Name>Define
    Name: List
    Refers to: =OFFSET($G$1,0,0,COUNTA($G:$G),1)

    As the source for the dropdown enter =List

    Biff

  4. #4
    Springbok
    Guest

    RE: Data Validation

    Yeh, that's quite a slick way of doing it. Nice one, think I might use that
    in future myself...

  5. #5
    peterm
    Guest

    RE: Data Validation

    Thanks biff & springbok
    Peterm

  6. #6
    peterm
    Guest

    RE: Data Validation

    This worked but now the second row of my lookup box won't show

  7. #7
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation

    In your list, are there any blank cells? Since the formula is counting
    cells with data in column G, blank cells in the would cause a problem.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  8. #8
    peterm
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation

    Hi Debra
    I don't have any blank cells & the table is sorted correctly.
    I have 3 columns in my table the 1st has the code (which I use in the data
    validation) The 2nd is the product & the 3rd is the price all worked untill I
    added the COUNTA code.
    Cheers peter

  9. #9
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation

    I'm confused. Previously you mentioned a missing row in the list, but
    now you're mentioning adjacent columns that aren't working.

    In which column is the list of codes, and what formula did you use to
    define the dynamic range for codes?

    Did you create dynamic ranges for the product and price? What formulas
    were used for those?

    Is there anything else in those columns, below or above the product table?

  10. #10
    peterm
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation

    Hi Debra
    Sorry My Mistake. I have a table(named style) that has 3 columns 1st with
    code eg (fs) 2nd with product (FlyScreen) 3rd with price
    I was using =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A16,Style,2)),"
    ",VLOOKUP(A16,Style,2)).
    I want to add extra products to the table and have the code appear in the
    validation list automatically
    Sorry for the confuseion
    Peterm

  11. #11
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation

    You should have a dynamic range for the codes, e.g.:
    =OFFSET(Sheet1!$G$2,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$G:$G)-1,1)

    And a dynamic range for the product table (Style):
    =OFFSET(Codes,,,,3)

    Use the range Codes for the data validation list source.

    In the VLOOKUP formula, add FALSE as the fourth argument, unless your
    list will be in alphabetical order:

    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A16,Style,2,FALSE))," ",
    VLOOKUP(A16,Style,2,FALSE))

  12. #12
    peterm
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation

    Hi Debra
    Hope i'm not driving you crazy like this is to me.
    Have renamed using dynamic range but if I use the false in the lookup
    nothing works,take out the false and of course it returns the wrong value
    some of the time but not always. eg cs returns crimsafe - correct, tst1
    returns test6 -incorrect should be test1
    Cheers peter

  13. #13
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation

    If you'd like to send me a small sample of your file, I can take a look.
    Remove the capital letters from my email address.

  14. #14
    peterm
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation

    Thanks for that Debra
    Have zipped the file down and put all on 1 page to keep it small
    Cheers
    peterm

  15. #15
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation

    I haven't received your file -- did you remove the XSPAM from my address?

  16. #16
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation

    Peter,

    You had correctly defined a dynamic range named Code, that you needed
    for the data validation list. However, to return the matching prices,
    using VLOOKUP, you'll need a multicolumn range.

    Define a range named CodeLookup, with the definition:

    =OFFSET(Code,0,,,3)

    Use this in the VLOOKUPs, e.g.:

    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A16,CodeLookup,2,FALSE))," ",
    VLOOKUP(A16,CodeLookup,2,FALSE))

    Debra