How do I keep other users from saving my read-only document?

  1. #1
    bumblebug
    Guest

    How do I keep other users from saving my read-only document?

    I do not want other users to be able to do anything but look at my worksheet.
    I do not want them to be able to save it, change it, forward it, anything.

  2. #2
    UK

    Protection

    I think what you want is quite easy if you open your workbook

    Go to : Tools > Protection > Protect Workbook...

    You should be able to enter a password then nobody will be able to edit the document without the password

    Hope This Helps

  3. #3
    Peter Rooney
    Guest

    RE: How do I keep other users from saving my read-only document?

    Hi,

    Not sure about stopping people from sending it, but you can certainly stop
    people from saving it...
    Go into Windows Explorer and find your filename in the appropriate folder.
    Right click the filename
    Left Click "Properties"
    On the "General" tab, put a tick in "Read Only" and click OK

    (Don't worry about them changing it when they open it - if they can't save
    the changes, it doesn't matter!

    Cheers

    Pete

  4. #4
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: How do I keep other users from saving my read-only document?

    Of course the user can do the same thing, and remove the read-only attribute.

  5. #5
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    All of the measures available to 'secure' the data in a spreadsheet can be broken by someone so determined.

    My recommendation is to always keep a backup of your file in a secured location (removable drive, private folder on the server, etc.).

    If the data integrity is that valuable or sensitive, placing the file in a "limited access folder" is good idea, as well. Your System Administrator should be able to set that up for you. Give Read Only rights to a few selected users.

    Good Luck
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA