Finding a record using multiple combo boxes as my search criteria

  1. #1
    sdg8481
    Guest

    Finding a record using multiple combo boxes as my search criteria

    Hi,

    I hope this can be done. What i have is a large range of data with many
    columns like surname, dob, town, etc.. and many rows.

    What i would like to do is to search and filter this range to show only
    records found that match criteria i have chosen in using multiple combo
    boxes. I would also like the combo boxes to contain a all the options in the
    range but also the facility to manually type in the criteria.

    Can anyone help?

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Finding a record using multiple combo boxes as my search criteria

    You could use the built-in AutoFilter feature, which allows you to
    either select an item from a dropdown list, or select Custom, and type
    criteria. There are instructions in Excel's Help, and here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    sdg8481
    Guest

    Re: Finding a record using multiple combo boxes as my search crite

    Yeah i was aware of this option, but i really wanted to use combo boxes or
    atleast a cell as my search cirteria.

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Finding a record using multiple combo boxes as my search crite

    There are sample files on my site that may help you get started:

    Under 'Filters", look for 'Product List by Category' and 'Filter Rows
    for Text String'

  5. #5
    sdg8481
    Guest

    RE: Finding a record using multiple combo boxes as my search criteria

    Hi Debra,

    Thanks, i downloaded the advfiltersearchword spreadsheet from your website
    and this is exactly what i'm looking for, however when i try to copy it and
    adapt it to my DB i need the password for the FUNCLAS.XLA that you set up

  6. #6
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Finding a record using multiple combo boxes as my search criteria

    There's no add-in file connected to my workbook. Perhaps you're seeing
    FUNCRES.XLA, which is a file from the Analysis ToolPak.

  7. #7
    sdg8481
    Guest

    Re: Finding a record using multiple combo boxes as my search crite

    yes sorry this is what i'm seeing ... is it possible to send me the password
    for this.

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007
    Hi!

    (a) You can't get it: it belongs to Microsoft.
    (b) You don't need it: Funcres.xla gets on with its job. If you don't like it, you can of course unload it.
    (c) Please, please listen to the experts who are helping you.

    Alf

  9. #9
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Finding a record using multiple combo boxes as my search crite

    That's an add-in that comes with the Excel program -- it's not something
    that I created, or have a password for.

    However, you shouldn't need to access the code for that add-in. If you
    want to modify the code in my sample workbook, you can access the code
    in Module1 of the AdvFilterSearchWord.xls project

  10. #10
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Finding a record using multiple combo boxes as my search crite

    Sorry -- the code is on the Sheet2 ("Data") module.