[SOLVED] Computer freezes while using mouse to select group of data in Exce

  1. #1
    mfshook62
    Guest

    [SOLVED] Computer freezes while using mouse to select group of data in Exce

    Regularly, when mousing to select a group of data in a column , using Excel,
    the computer completely freezes up, and I have to hard reset to recover.
    This happened with 98 and XP office versions on my computer.

    Thanks for your time,
    Mike Shook

  2. #2

    Re: Computer freezes while using mouse to select group of data in Exce

    I have no idea...

    But David McRitchie has a bunch of notes that deal with the misbehavior of mice
    and excel.

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt

    What kind of mouse do you use?
    USB/PS2
    Logitech/MS Intellipoint/etc

    Make sure you have the current drivers and post back with more details it that
    doesn't help. (Maybe someone will have overcome the same problem as you.)

  3. #3
    mfshook62
    Guest

    Re: Computer freezes while using mouse to select group of data in

    It is a usb-ps2 hp mouse on an older hp computer with Win XP. Loaded the
    latest intelimouse driver. Same problem. Seems to work a few times, then
    freezes.

    Mike

  4. #4

    Re: Computer freezes while using mouse to select group of data in

    USB or PS2?

    If you can, can you swap mice for testing?

    And if you're using USB, can you go back to PS2? (Or vice versa?)

    (I got nothin')

  5. #5
    mfshook62
    Guest

    Re: Computer freezes while using mouse to select group of data in

    Switched mouse to logitech, used logitech software, switched usb to ps2, and
    still have not solved problem. Occurs most often while selecting data for
    charts. Even occurs while manually inputting cell locations. It is getting
    very frustrating and I am thinking of going back to Lotus123 or Quatro.

    Mike

  6. #6

    Re: Computer freezes while using mouse to select group of data in

    I don't have any other guesses/suggestions.

    Did you find anything in your google searches?

  7. #7
    mfshook62
    Guest

    Re: Computer freezes while using mouse to select group of data in

    Dave,

    Thanks for your time. Have not found any useful posts is this group. The
    problem is getting worse since all these changes. Excel is unusable in this
    state and I am forced to switch back to Quattro.

    Regards,

    Mike

  8. #8
    Lady Layla
    Guest

    Re: Computer freezes while using mouse to select group of data in

    You said you had an older HP computer -- how much RAM does it have?

    "mfshook62" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : Dave,
    :
    : Thanks for your time. Have not found any useful posts is this group. The
    : problem is getting worse since all these changes. Excel is unusable in this
    : state and I am forced to switch back to Quattro.
    :
    : Regards,
    :
    : Mike
    :
    : "Dave Peterson" wrote:
    :
    : > I don't have any other guesses/suggestions.
    : >

  9. #9
    Fran
    Guest

    RE: Computer freezes while using mouse to select group of data in Exce

    I have had the same problem, but only since installing Windows XP.

  10. #10
    Manish
    Guest

    RE: Computer freezes while using mouse to select group of data in Exce

    Hi
    Try to update the Video drivers this will resolve the issue.