Find a value in list 2 that is not in list 1

  1. #1
    maxxwell2
    Guest

    Find a value in list 2 that is not in list 1

    I have text values in column A and also in column B, most of which match. I
    would like to take the values in column B that are not in column A and put
    those values only in column C. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    try thi in column c (in this case for row 3)

    =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(B3,A:A,0)),B3,"")

    copy as needed

    this will generate name in column c which exist in column b but not column a
    not a professional, just trying to assist.....

  3. #3
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Find a value in list 2 that is not in list 1

    Maxxwell,

    Put this formula in column C, and copy down.
    =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(B2,$A$2:$A$20,0)),B2,"")

    To get them contiguous, use Autofilter, filter on nonblanks in column C, and
    copy/paste to somewhere.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Find a value in list 2 that is not in list 1

    Hi!

    Here's an alternative method that doesn't require the
    extra steps.

    Assume the lists are in the range A1:B10. Enter this
    forumla in C1 with the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

    =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$10,$B$1:$B$10)=0,ROW
    ($A$1:$A$10)),ROW(1:1))),"",INDEX($B$1:$B$10,SMALL(IF
    (COUNTIF($A$1:$A$10,$B$1:$B$10)=0,ROW($A$1:$A$10)),ROW
    (1:1))))

    Copy down until you get blanks.

    OR, use the above formula without the error trap, array
    entered:

    =INDEX($B$1:$B$10,SMALL(IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$10,$B$1:$B$10)
    =0,ROW($A$1:$A$10)),ROW(1:1)))

    Copy down until you get a #NUM! error.

    Biff

  5. #5
    maxxwell2

    "Biff" wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Here's an alternative method that doesn't require the
    > extra steps.
    >
    > Assume the lists are in the range A1:B10. Enter this
    > forumla in C1 with the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:
    >
    > =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$10,$B$1:$B$10)=0,ROW
    > ($A$1:$A$10)),ROW(1:1))),"",INDEX($B$1:$B$10,SMALL(IF
    > (COUNTIF($A$1:$A$10,$B$1:$B$10)=0,ROW($A$1:$A$10)),ROW
    > (1:1))))
    >
    > Copy down until you get blanks.
    >
    > OR, use the above formula without the error trap, array
    > entered:
    >
    > =INDEX($B$1:$B$10,SMALL(IF(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$10,$B$1:$B$10)
    > =0,ROW($A$1:$A$10)),ROW(1:1)))
    >
    > Copy down until you get a #NUM! error.
    >
    > Biff

    Thank very much for the formula, it works fine, I was just hoping there
    might be a cleaner way to accomplish this task. Also my list is approximately
    250 rows long and when I use your formula, it finds the proper values(the
    first 45 rows) then the next 90 rows or so, it inserts a value of 0, and the
    last 90 rows are blank. Do you know why I am getting a zero value in these
    middle rows? THANKS AGAIN!