Assign values to names in a drop-down list?

  1. #1
    Barry L
    Guest

    Assign values to names in a drop-down list?

    Is it possible to assign values to names in a list, so that when you validate
    it as a drop-down list, you can select a name from the drop-down and it's
    corresponding value will be added to separate cell? Basically, I have survey
    questions which have five possible responses: Excellent - Very Good - Good -
    Fair - Poor. We want to assign a value to each, 5 for Excellent, 4 for Very
    Good and so on, so that when a response is selected from a drop-down, it's
    value appears in a separate cell (so that we can calculate a total and
    average score from the selections).

    Thanks

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Assign values to names in a drop-down list?

    Hi Barry

    a couple of choices,

    1)
    if you only have 5 options you can use an IF function - assuming the drop
    down is in A1 the formula in B1 would be
    =IF(A1="","",IF(A1="Excellent",5,IF(A1="Very
    Good",4,IF(A1="Good",3,IF(A1="Fair",2,IF(A1="Poor",1,"Check Entry"))))))

    2)
    or create a table somewhere in your workbook (say sheet2 cells A2:B6) as
    follows
    .........A.................B
    1....Grade.........Value
    2.....Excellent.......5
    3.....Very Good....4
    4.....Good.............3
    5......Fair...............2
    6.....Poor...............1

    and use a VLOOKUP function in cell B1
    =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$2:$B$6,2,0)

    - to trap for errors nest it in an IF(ISNA( function, e.g.
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$2:$B$6,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$2:$B$6,2,0))

    3)
    use the following formula in B1
    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,{"Excellent",5;"Very
    Good",4;"Good",3;"Fair",2;"Poor",1},2,0)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,{"Excellent",5;"Very
    Good",4;"Good",3;"Fair",2;"Poor",1},2,0))

    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Barry L
    Guest

    Re: Assign values to names in a drop-down list?

    Great thanks Julie!

    Barry

  4. #4
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Assign values to names in a drop-down list?

    you're welcome

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Liverpool
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Assign values to names in a drop-down list?

    Hi...I'm new to this! and I'm

    I'm running a Fantasy Formula 1 competition and have transfered the information over to Excel 2007 (Acer Laptop)

    The problem I have is to assign values to the drivers in a drop down cell?

    In cell A2:A27 are the names
    In cell B2:B27 are the values

    In cells G2,I2 and K2 are the drivers drop down list
    I require the values of each driver to appear in cells H2,J2 and L2
    each drive has a diffrent price tag.

    Many many thanks

  6. #6
    Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: Assign values to names in a drop-down list?

    I have tried to follow these recommendations but I keep receiving a error message saying a parenthesis is missing somewhere. Please help.