Gradebook woes

  1. #1
    G. Doughty
    Guest

    Gradebook woes

    As Eeyore says, "here we go"

    I am implementing a gradebook with excel. How can I three assignments
    weighted differently and still give me an average in one cell? I also would
    like to have columns open to add assignments and to have those assignments
    automatically pick up the formula for the average. My problem now is that I
    cannot get an average as I go along. All of the Internet sites have
    gradebooks that are complete with all the grades and everything but I would
    like to add them as they are assigned. Is there a formula that would state
    "If J5 is empty, do not include in average but if J5= # then include in
    average. I am pulling my hair out with this as I also have different
    weights for different assignments. I wish I could just get a template but I
    have to do this original gradebook as part of a portfolio. Excel is
    obviously my weakest MS application and it is killing me. Thanks for any
    suggestions if you can make heads or tails out of my explanation

    73
    Greg
    ki4bbl AT cox DOTNET

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Gradebook woes

    Greg,

    Does this help

    =SUMPRODUCT(A1:C1,{7,5,3})/COUNT(A1:C1)

    where A1:c1 are the grades, 7,5,3, are the weights

    Bob Phillips

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Houston, TX
    This may not be an elegant solution but it will work.

    ASSUME that the grades will be entered from A1:Z1 and the corresponding weights are in A2:Z2, then your weighted average is

    =sum(A1:Z1*A2:Z2)/sum(A2:Z2)

    Right now, you only have 3 entries to grade so you will only go up to Column C. Since your formula is up to Column Z, then you still have 23 entries/columns to fill up. As you fill up more columns, the weighted average will change as dictated by the formula.

    Hope this is what you are looking for.

    Regards.

    Quote Originally Posted by G. Doughty
[...]

    BenjieLop