Range limited by a wildcard

  1. #1
    Jeff
    Guest

    Range limited by a wildcard

    I need to run a formula that would do this on an active cell:
    =MIN(DATEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE('408134.xls'!K10:K11,".","/")))

    But instead of delimiting the range from K10:K11, I would like the formula
    to evaluate the column K with a range defined within two wildcards *, located
    in column B.
    The upper range would be *
    The lower range would also be *

    This would be continuous, therefore the formula needs to go the next range
    delimited by two wildcards *
    Regards,

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Range limited by a wildcard

    When you say wildcard, I'm assuming B1 is start of date range (K10 or
    whatever),
    And B2 is end of date range (K11 or whatever).

    =MIN(DATEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(INDIRECT(B1&":"&B2),".","/")))

    Although you didn't mention it, since it's your formula, you know that it's
    an *array* formula, but for the sake of other readers:

    Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift> <Enter>, instead of the
    regular <Enter>, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly
    brackets, which *cannot* be done manually.

    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jeff
    Guest

    Re: Range limited by a wildcard

    hI RD,

    I apologize if I wasn't clear. Here's an example:
    The wildcards are in Column B; the dates that I need to evaluate are in
    column K.
    I need to find the oldest date in K within the 2 wildcards.
    Regards,

    *

    Prov 2/28/2005
    Prov 1/31/2005

    *

  4. #4
    Jeff
    Guest

    Re: Range limited by a wildcard

    Hi RD,

    I apologize if I wasn't clear,. Here's an example:

    I need a formula that would evaluate the oldest dates in column K within 2

  5. #5
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Range limited by a wildcard

    Are you saying that if there is an asterisk in B8, and another in B24, that
    you want the max date in Column K from within the range of K8 to K24?

    If that's so, how do the asterisks get there?
    Do you key them in, or are they the results of other formulas?

  6. #6
    Jeff
    Guest

    Re: Range limited by a wildcard

    Hi RD,
    1 - Yes. This is what I need.
    2 - asterisks get there after an extraction of a file in SAP.
    3 - Do you key them in, or are they the results of other formulas? No
    Thanks,
    JF

  7. #7
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Range limited by a wildcard

    Sorry for the delay in replying, but I just had to get in some Spring skiing
    before Mammoth turned into it's customary "mashed potatoes" consistency.

    <"asterisks get there after an extraction of a file in SAP">
    Don't really understand this, but this *array* formula worked for me when I
    tested with keyed in asterisks.
    Also, if there were more then 2 asterisks, the first and last set the range
    limits.

    =MIN(DATEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(INDIRECT("K"&MATCH("~*",B1:B100,0)&":K"&MATCH("~*"
    ,B1:B100)),".","/")))

    Array formulas must be entered with CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift > <Enter>, instead of

    -
    > > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

    !

    -
    > > "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi RD,
    > > >
    > > > I apologize if I wasn't clear,. Here's an example:
    > > >
    > > > I need a formula that would evaluate the oldest dates in column K

    within 2
    > > > wildcards located in column B.
    > > > *
    > > >

    > > > Prov 2/28/2005