how to deal with multiple matches on vlookup?

  1. #1
    Ash
    Guest

    how to deal with multiple matches on vlookup?

    doing a vlookup on company name - it may appear numerous times in the
    spreadsheet I am looking up from, but I can't tell how it determines which
    value to return. For example, Company ABC listed in 4 rows, 3 of which have
    "no" and 1 has "yes". I want the yes. I have sorted alphabetically,
    thinking it returns the first one. Need advice. Thanks.....Ash

  2. #2
    Daniel Bonallack
    Guest

    RE: how to deal with multiple matches on vlookup?

    I thought it does return the first one if you put the parameter "False" as
    the fourth parameter.

    I'm sure someone has a cleverer formula, but you could sort by company, then
    descending by the yes/no column?

    Daniel

  3. #3
    Kassie
    Guest

    RE: how to deal with multiple matches on vlookup?

    I do not quite understand what you want to achieve here. However, Vlookup
    works best with a sorted database type list, where each name appears once
    only. You will experience problems with multiple entries

  4. #4

    Re: how to deal with multiple matches on vlookup?

    Say you have the company name in A1 of sheet1

    And sheet2 is laid out like this:
    column A--list of company names
    column B--Yes/no
    column C--value to be brought back.

    =INDEX(Sheet2!C:C,MATCH(1,(Sheet2!A1:A100=A1)*(Sheet2!B1:B100="yes"),0))
    them yourself.)

    Adjust the range (I used 100 rows) to match your data--but don't use the whole
    column.