Drop Down List Protection from Changes

  1. #1
    kfutbol
    Guest

    Drop Down List Protection from Changes

    When protecting a sheet, I know you can prevent changes to cell content but
    how can you prevent a change in a drop down list? Once I protect the sheet,
    I can still change a drop down list. How can I prevent this? Thank you!

  2. #2
    Springbok
    Guest

    RE: Drop Down List Protection from Changes

    Hi,

    Is the drop down list part of validation / combo box? If it is is it linked
    to a list in an array in the same workbook? You can protect it by locking
    the cells that make up the list array. Then apply worksheet protection.

    Cheers,
    Jon

  3. #3
    kfutbol
    Guest

    RE: Drop Down List Protection from Changes

    It is a validation and uses a list on the same sheet
    (Data->Validation->Lists->Select Cells). I highlighted the list and selected
    Format->Cells->Protection Tab->Lock and then I protected the sheet, but I can
    still change the drop down list. What am I doing wrong?? Thanks.

  4. #4
    Springbok
    Guest

    RE: Drop Down List Protection from Changes

    Not sure what you mean by "change". Do you mean that you can change the list
    (i.e. delete existing values, insert, modify etc...)?

    Or do you mean that you can still select the item from the drop down list
    and you want to restrict users from using the list?

    If the first, then I don't understand why because when the list is 'locked'
    and the sheet protected, I don't seem to be able to amend it.

    If the second, then make sure you are locking the cells that the validation
    is applied to.

    Let me know what happens.
    Cheers,
    Jon

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down List Protection from Changes

    In Excel 2000 and earlier versions, you can change the selection in a
    data validation dropdown, if the list is from a range on the worksheet.

    If the list is typed in the data validation dialog box, the selection
    can't be changed.

    In Excel 2002 and later versions, neither type of dropdown list can be
    changed if the cell is locked and the sheet is protected.

    This MSKB article has information on the previous behaviour:

    XL97: Error When Using Validation Drop-Down List Box
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=157484

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  6. #6
    kfutbol
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down List Protection from Changes

    Can you clarify what you mean by typing the list information in the data
    vaildation dialog box? Thank you!

  7. #7
    kfutbol
    Guest

    RE: Drop Down List Protection from Changes

    The 2nd option: I do not want others to change the choice I placed in the
    drop down list. I highlighted the cells that contain teh list and they are
    already protected and then when I protect, I can still change the drop-down
    list from one choice to the other. Any ideas?

  8. #8
    kfutbol
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down List Protection from Changes

    Got it!! Thank you very much! It will take a lot longer to type it in, but
    it'll be worth it.

  9. #9
    kfutbol
    Guest

    RE: Drop Down List Protection from Changes

    Thanks again for all your help! I finally got it to work. I just have to
    type int eh list info into teh Range box as opposed to referring to a list of
    cells. Take care~

  10. #10
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Drop Down List Protection from Changes

    You're welcome! Thanks for letting me know that you figured out how to
    type the list in the data validation box, and got it working.