Creating a chart to convert hundredths to minutes

  1. #1
    dvonj
    Guest

    Creating a chart to convert hundredths to minutes

    My company is using a manual hundredths to minutes chart to change decimals
    to minutes. Example if the hours worked shows as 1.83, the .83 is converted
    to :50 minutes.
    I am using a formula to calculate hours worked for the AM and PM routes with
    a sign on and sign off time for each. The formula looks like this
    =(D11-C11)*24 Sign on time is 5:20-C11, sign off time is 9:25 D11, hours
    =4.08 The .08 in hundredths =05 minutes. At one point I use this formula to
    display 4.08 in h:mm format, =TEXT(D11-C11,"h:mm") This returns 4:05. Is
    there a way to create a lookup table that contains the hundredths to minutes
    data then the cell with the value in hundredths look up and return the
    corresponding value?

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Creating a chart to convert hundredths to minutes

    To create a time conversion chart that you could print out:

    In column A, list the hundredths, e.g.:

    0.01
    0.02

    In cell B2, enter the formula: =A2*60
    Copy the formula down to the last row of data.

    For your timesheet calculations, you can find lots of information on
    date/time arithmetic on Chip Pearson's site:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Mike A
    Guest

    Re: Creating a chart to convert hundredths to minutes

    If what you are trying to do is keep the decimal value in the cell and
    display hours and minutes, use formatting. It is much faster than a
    lookup, especially if your data will increase to several hundred rows.

    Right-click the formula cell, click format cells and select 'Time' and
    '13:30'. If you do this to cells C1 and D1 as well, you must remove the
    *24 from your formula.

    HTH

    --
    Mike Argy