How to open Lotus 123 files

  1. #1
    Jason B [MVP-Storage]
    Guest

    How to open Lotus 123 files

    Everything that I read says that Excel 2003 doesnt need a converter ... but
    I cant open a .123 file...

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

    jason

  2. #2
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: How to open Lotus 123 files

    Jason B [MVP-Storage] wrote...
    >Everything that I read says that Excel 2003 doesnt need a converter

    .... but
    >I cant open a .123 file...
    >
    >Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

    Whatever you're reading, either you're not reading it carefully or it
    was written sloppily. Excel from version 95 on has been able to read
    ..WK4 (Lotus 123 Release 4 format) files and *PREVIOUS* 123 file formats
    (.WK3/.WK1/.WKS), but *NO* version of Excel yet has been able to read
    ..123 (123 97 and 123 release 9.x) format files.

    Aside from hex editors, the **ONLY** software packages that can do
    anything useful with .123 files at this time are Lotus 123 Releases 97
    and 9.x, Quattro Pro version 10 (WordPerfect Office 2002) and later,
    and (claimed, but I haven't verified) DataViz's ConversionPlus. Of all
    of these, 123 does the best job with them (no surprise).

    So unless you can get whoever sent you this file/these files to resave
    them in .XLS format and send you the .XLS files, you're going to have
    to buy and install the latest version of Lotus SmartSuite (WPO may be
    cheaper, but it's certain to be buggier, and ConversionPlus will be
    much more expensive) if you want to do anything with these files.

  3. #3
    Jason B [MVP-Storage]
    Guest

    Re: How to open Lotus 123 files

    Thanks Harlan ...

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    Excel cannot open a *.123 file. You will need to resave the file (in Lotus) as a *.wk4 or *.wks file. Then Excel can open it. Better yet, when in Lotus, save it as .xls file, I believe that option is available.

    Many formulas, formats, VBA codes, etc. may not translate as expected.

    Good Luck.

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  5. #5
    CarlosAntenna
    Guest

    Re: How to open Lotus 123 files

    I found Lotus Smart Suite for $21. I needed it to convert some Ami Pro
    files to Word. Here's a Link.

    http://www.directdeals.com/Item_CD-AN01DIE.aspx

    -- Carlos

    news:%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: How to open Lotus 123 files

    I've not tried this yet, but...

    OpenOffice.org 2.0 Office Suite
    "...The Lotus 1-2-3 import now also loads files of Lotus versions up to 9.7
    ...."

    (about 1/2 way down the page)

    http://marketing.openoffice.org/2.0/...teroperability

    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

  7. #7
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: How to open Lotus 123 files

    Dana DeLouis wrote...
    >I've not tried this yet, but...
    >
    >OpenOffice.org 2.0 Office Suite
    > "...The Lotus 1-2-3 import now also loads files of Lotus versions up

    to 9.7
    >..."

    OOo 2.0 is still in beta. I've been using it for a few months, but I
    hadn't noticed this feature. It works for VERY SIMPLE .123 files, but
    is nowhere near ready for prime time. One of the more annoying things
    is that it can't handle multiple worksheets in .123 files. It
    invariably names the first worksheet Sheet1 and *ALL* subsequent
    worksheets temp. However, if the file the OP has contains only a single
    worksheet or nothing but constants and formulas referring to ranges
    only in the same worksheet, it may be adequate to extract the data.