How do you make a look-up function look further?

  1. #1
    sven
    Guest

    How do you make a look-up function look further?

    What i can't seem to find out:

    For school i made a matrix in which 20 students could score points in
    different subjects. Each score was added up, so that each student had a total
    score.
    Of those total scores i made a Ranking table. I've used excel to put the
    scores into assending order and then used the (vertical) look-up function to
    find the name that matches the score.
    this works perfectly, until there are 2 identical scores. Excel then picks
    the first name, for both scores. How can i 'tell' excel to look further in
    the directed matrix, if the name found is already used in an earlier cell?
    I tried using the If-fuction, but that didn't work.
    If anyone knows how to solve this or can be of any help, i would appreciate
    it if you replied.
    Thanks in advance.

    Sven
    The netherlands (so also using dutch version, but thats ok)

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: How do you make a look-up function look further?

    Lets say the scores are in Column A, and the student's name pertaining to
    each individual score is in Column B, for a datalist of A1:B20.

    The scores are ranked (sorted) in Column F, from F1 to F20.

    Enter this *array* formula in G1, and copy down to G20:

    =INDEX($B$1:$B$20,LARGE(IF($A$1:$A$20=F1,ROW($A$1:$A$20)),COUNTIF(F1:$F$20,F
    1)))

    Array formulas must be entered with CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift > <Enter>, instead of
    the regular <Enter>, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly
    brackets, which *cannot* be done manually.

    In the case of ties, the name listed *first* in the datalist will be
    displayed first in the ranking column.

    If you might want this reversed, simply change the "Large" function in the
    formula to the "Small" function.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    Re: How do you make a look-up function look further?

    Depending on how you set up your data range, you may also be interested in
    the AutoFilter feature. If you're not familiar with it, go to
    Data>Filter>AutoFilter while your active cell is located in your data range.

    HTH |:>)

    On 3/13/05 6:08 PM, in article [email protected],
    "Ragdyer" wrote:

    > Lets say the scores are in Column A, and the student's name pertaining to
    > each individual score is in Column B, for a datalist of A1:B20.
    >

    > The scores are ranked (sorted) in Column F, from F1 to F20.
    >
    > Enter this *array* formula in G1, and copy down to G20:
    >
    > =INDEX($B$1:$B$20,LARGE(IF($A$1:$A$20=F1,ROW($A$1:$A$20)),COUNTIF(F1:$F$20,F
    > 1)))
    >
    > Array formulas must be entered with CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift > <Enter>, instead of
    > the regular <Enter>, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly
    > brackets, which *cannot* be done manually.
    >
    > In the case of ties, the name listed *first* in the datalist will be
    > displayed first in the ranking column.
    >
    > If you might want this reversed, simply change the "Large" function in the
    > formula to the "Small" function.

    -- [email protected]

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    6,195

    Ranking Lookup

    I assume that column A contains the rankings, and column B the names (sorted in column A order), you could bring all the relavant names to the first occurance with column D set to: =IF(A1=A2,B1&" "&D2,B1) (copy this down the sheet)
    You would then Lookup just one occurance of each score to receive all names.

  5. #5
    sven
    Guest

    Re: How do you make a look-up function look further?

    > "Ragdyer" wrote:
    >
    > > Lets say the scores are in Column A, and the student's name pertaining to
    > > each individual score is in Column B, for a datalist of A1:B20.
    > >

    > > The scores are ranked (sorted) in Column F, from F1 to F20.
    > >
    > > Enter this *array* formula in G1, and copy down to G20:
    > >
    > > =INDEX($B$1:$B$20,LARGE(IF($A$1:$A$20=F1,ROW($A$1:$A$20)),COUNTIF(F1:$F$20,F
    > > 1)))
    > >
    > > Array formulas must be entered with CSE, <Ctrl> <Shift > <Enter>, instead of
    > > the regular <Enter>, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly
    > > brackets, which *cannot* be done manually.
    > >
    > > In the case of ties, the name listed *first* in the datalist will be
    > > displayed first in the ranking column.
    > >
    > > If you might want this reversed, simply change the "Large" function in the
    > > formula to the "Small" function.

    > -- [email protected]

    Ok, I can't seem to make it work proporly and i have no clue what i'm doing
    wrong.
    I changed the formula into the dutch function and into the
    cells/rows/columns that i'm using and it turns out like this:

    =INDEX($AC$7:$AC$30;GROOTSTE(ALS($AB$7:$AB$30=C6;RIJ($AB$7:$AB$30));AANTAL.ALS(C6:$C$26;C6)))

    When i add it using CSE, i get the array thingys around it, but it doesn't
    find the correct name. It also gives several error cells when i copy it down
    to the entire column. So i must be doing something wrong.. but what?

  6. #6
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: How do you make a look-up function look further?

    I would suggest that you make a small test datalist on a new sheet, where
    you key in the entries yourself, and then copy to the ranking column.

    This would insure that the data is *exactly* the same in all cases.
    That there were perhaps, no leading or trailing spaces, or that all numeric
    data is truly numeric, and not text that looks like numbers, or a mixture of
    text and numbers.

    There are numerous reasons why formulas fail, and the data itself can be the
    reason, as well as the formula.

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor
    6,195

    Lookup function formula

    Not being too bright, I can get most of this formula working, (as separate portions in help-columns) but not all.
    The 'Large' function (as used) gives a #NUM! where only a single occurance of the score occurs in the table.
    I presume that most of the scores used would be single entries, and would thus present a large problem.
    (ps, I find this formula useful for other purposes)
    Is there any simple method to deal with the single occurance items?