pivot tables-data field formatting

  1. #1
    popp25
    Guest

    pivot tables-data field formatting

    How do I change the default data field type from Count to Sum?

  2. #2

    Re: pivot tables-data field formatting

    I don't think you can.

    If all the entries are numeric, you'll get Sum, but if any are text (or empty),
    you get count.

  3. #3
    popp25
    Guest

    Re: pivot tables-data field formatting

    All of my entires are numeric, but my default settings do not give me Sum,
    they default and give me "Count". I have to change each to Sum.

  4. #4

    Re: pivot tables-data field formatting

    I'd double check--maybe you have an extra row in your pivottable source range.

    Maybe you have a cell formatted as text masquerading as a number.

    If you select the cells and right click on the statusbar in the bottom right
    corner, you can choose Count Nums and Count.

    Are those the same quantity?

    And do they match the number of cells in the selection? (empty cells cause
    trouble.)