sum question

  1. #1
    sanj
    Guest

    sum question

    I have 20 tabs in my excel file.I need to check sum of
    numbers in cell A14 for all 20 tabs.Instead of going to
    each tab and adding A14 cell for each tab , is there any
    formula or trick to get total? thanks for the help

    Sanj

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: sum question

    =SUM(Sheet1:Sheet20!A14)

    HTH
    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    Guest

    Re: sum question

    Thanks Jason works great!!

  4. #4
    Sanj
    Guest

    Re: sum question

    What if tab has different names??thanks

    --sanj

  5. #5
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: sum question

    It'll still work.

    Jason

  6. #6
    Tony
    Guest

    Re: sum question

    What if that does not work? I only have two tabs and typed the formula
    exactly how it appears below and it is still not working. Instead it is
    saying #NAME?

    any help is appreciated.

  7. #7
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: sum question

    Hi Tony

    the formula supplied by Jason assumes that your sheets are called
    Sheet1:Sheet20
    so you'll need to replace the Sheet1 and Sheet20 with the actual names of
    your sheets - note, if you have spaces in your sheet names you'll need to do
    it like this:

    =SUM('my first sheet:my second sheet'!A14)

    note the apostraphe ' before the start of the first sheet name and at the
    end of the second sheet name

    also it's not easy to see but theres a colon : between the sheet names

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Tony
    Guest

    Re: sum question

    Julie,
    Thanks. Here is how I wrote it: =sum('sheet1:sheet2'!E11)

    Now it is saying #REF!

    I really appreciate the help.

  9. #9
    Tony
    Guest

    RE: sum question

    I got my answer. I feel really stupid here. But my tabs actually had names
    as opposed to "sheet" once I filled the names in on the formula it worked.
    Thanks for your help.

  10. #10
    JulieD
    Guest