Exported File truncating cell data after 255 characters

  1. #1
    Sue Rizzo
    Guest

    Exported File truncating cell data after 255 characters

    I have exported a file in Excel format from MS Access. When I open the file
    in Excel, the cells containing greater than 255 characters have been
    truncated. Any way around this?

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Exported File truncating cell data after 255 characters

    Excel will not display any characters if you put more than 255 in a cell.
    Instead you'll get only # signs. So..exporting more than 255 (or maybe even
    254) in a field is not likely to help you.

    How many characters in the fields you're trying to export?

    If not too many more than the 255 limit - you could use a query to break it
    into two columns - first one getting the LEFT([textfield],200) and the next
    one getting the RIGHT([textfield],LEN([textfield]-200).

    If you've got a few thousand characters in the field...then exporting to
    Excel isn't going to be fun for you. You'll just have to break the field
    into dozens of smaller chunks

  3. #3
    Sue Rizzo
    Guest

    RE: Exported File truncating cell data after 255 characters

    Thank you for your response. Yes, I have many cells with greater than 1,000
    char. so splitting them into columns of 255 each would be quite burdensome.
    It looks like I am stuck with the alternative of exporting to a Text File,
    then copying the contents of the text file and pasting into Excel using Paste
    Special as Text. I've used this method before but will now have to write a
    little code to automate the Excel paste special task.