Pulling data from a big report

  1. #1
    nbeaird_51
    Guest

    Pulling data from a big report

    I am looking for a way to pull data (ie a specific state's financials) from a
    huge report that I have. Need a drop tab or something so when I click on
    State abbrevation it pulls only that states financials from the bigger
    report? How do I do this???

  2. #2
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Pulling data from a big report

    Hi

    does data / filter / autofilter give you what you need?
    if not, how is your data structured?

    Cheers
    JulieD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    nbeaird_51
    Guest

    Re: Pulling data from a big report

    I have tried this the data is posted in a way that the state is a header and
    then it goes into different products we offer going down a column. The rows
    that grow accross are the financials from years past up till the current year
    Example:
    State 1-03 2-03 3-03 4-03.....
    Product $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....
    Product $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....
    Product $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.....

    It does this fore every state and I want to be able to viewan individual
    state from this bigger list to ease data entry and printing

    ANY HELP APPRECIATED!!! Thanks and Happy Early St Patty's

  4. #4
    You may use Pivot tables

  5. #5
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Pulling data from a big report

    Hi

    check out
    http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip068.htm
    to see if this will give you a structure you can then use with autofilter /
    pivot tables etc

  6. #6
    nbeaird_51
    Guest

    Re: Pulling data from a big report

    Hey
    That did not work I have the states as a header in yellow background and
    when i did the pivot table it did not show the states it pretty much just put
    the years in alphabetical order. This is really bugging me, any other
    assistance will be helpful.

    Nate

  7. #7
    JulieD
    Guest

    Re: Pulling data from a big report

    Hi Nate

    the only other idea i have is resort to code to extract the data you want
    .... but i'm guessing the number of products is different for each state - so
    the first state's products would be say rows 2 - 50, the second rows 3 - 100
    .... or do each of your states sell the same products ??

    another idea - at the end of each state's products do you have a total line?
    if so, data / group & outline / auto outline might give you what you're
    looking for (or you could outline each state manually and then hide &
    display the states as required).

  8. #8
    I think this may work for you:

    This assumes that the report has some structure to the heading info, for instance, a line that begins with "Company: ZYZ"

    1)Insert a column to the left of the report (I'll assume column A) and a row above (Row 1)
    2)Run this forumula down column A (beginning in Row2):
    =if(left(B2,7)="Company",Mid(b2,9,40),A1)

    That way, Column A will list the same company for all rows in that company until the next company header appears. Then the new company will display.

    Regards,

    Ron C