Moving blocks of data in excel

  1. #1
    Yasmin
    Guest

    Moving blocks of data in excel

    Hi I have 3 columns of data which contains say 20 rows of Africa data, 30
    rows of Asia data, 17 rows of Canada data etc. ie. the number of rows change
    for each group as you move down the columns. I would like to move the data so
    that it is side by side ie africa first 3 columns, asia next three columns
    etc. ie. its easier to look across than down. Anyone know how to move data
    easily from being effetively vertical to horizontal (not the transpose kind)
    thanks

  2. #2
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    RE: Moving blocks of data in excel

    I don't know how you need to use the data, but, IMHO, you would probably be
    better to leave your data range as it is in order to get more productivity
    from the program. There any number of ways you can have the info displayed
    elsewhere without actually chopping it up into separate groups of records.

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    6,195

    Data move

    Assuming column A has the Asia - Africa identifier, you could enter in column D
    =IF(A1<>A2,B1&", "&C1,D2&", "&B1&", "&C1)
    Enter a 1 in cell E1, and in cell E2 the formula =IF(A2=A1,E1+1,1)
    drag both formula to the bottom of the data
    This brings all the data to the first occurance.
    Copy all data to a new worksheet and Paste Special = values.
    Sort over column E and delete all lines that are not = 1 (leaving all data, horizontal)
    re-sort over country etc