Excel cannot shift nonblank cells

  1. #1
    Mr. Maz.
    Guest

    Excel cannot shift nonblank cells

    I have an Excel sheet where I try to insert columns. I get the error that
    says that Excel cannot shift nonblank cell off the worksheet. But there are
    tons of empty cells to the rigth of my data starting at column BC....

    If I save my worksheet I can insert one, two, three columns before I get the
    same error again. I save again and I can insert one or two more....

    It's painfull especially when I try to do this in a macro. I can't be saving
    between each column insertion !!!

    Excel 2002 (10.6501.6626) SP3

  2. #2
    Jason Morin
    Guest

    Re: Excel cannot shift nonblank cells

    The Microsoft KB offers a solution here:

    Error message: To prevent possible loss of data,
    Microsoft Excel cannot shift nonblank cells off the
    worksheet

    Jason
    Atlanta, GA

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Excel cannot shift nonblank cells

    Have a read at this KB article for a possible solution.

    BTW. Are you sure the columns are actually blank?

    Select all columns to the right of BC and Edit>Delete(note....delete, not
    clear contents).

    Save and close to reset the used range.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP