Merger Two Data Sheet

  1. #1
    Charles
    Guest

    Merger Two Data Sheet

    Hi All:

    I need to merge two variables but I could not find any instructions on this
    issue.

    I have a data sheet 1 like this:

    Course Hours
    Acc100 3.0
    Acc122 3.0
    Mar095 3.5
    Bus100 4.0
    Bus101 3.0

    I have data sheet 2 like:

    Course Instructor
    Acc100 Charles
    Acc101 David
    Acc122 James
    Mar095 Mary
    Mar100 Greg
    Mar155 Sharon
    Bus100 Lisa
    Bus101 Sue
    Bus105 Tom

    Data sheet 1 and data sheet 2 have the same variable Course. Course contains
    much more records in data sheet 2 and all records of Course in data sheet 1
    are included in Course in data sheet 2. Now I want to merge these two sheets
    to create file like:

    Course Instructor Hours
    Acc100 Charles 3.0
    Acc122 James 3.0
    Mar095 Mary 3.5
    Bus100 Lisa 4.0
    Bus101 Sue 3.0

    Is there is anyone who could tell me the procefures I can accomplish this
    goal? Any suggestions and advices are greatly appreciated.

    Charles

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Merger Two Data Sheet

    Charles,

    You need to use a VLOOKUP in the first data sheet.

    =VLOOKUP(A2, Table,2,FALSE)
    =VLOOKUP(A2, 'Sheet 2'!A1:B65536, 2, FALSE)

    This would go in the next column of the sheet 1 table. Table is a defined
    name for the table in sheet 2, and does not include the heading row (though
    in this case it would do no harm). A2 is the first Course (Acc100) in the
    table in Sheet 1.

    In database parlance, you've joined the "many" table (sheet 1) with the
    "one" table" (sheet 2). Access is a good application for this kind of
    stuff.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Charles
    Guest

    RE: Merger Two Data Sheet

    Hi Earl:

    Thanks a lot for your answering my question. But I tried to test your
    method and found I still can not understand what you told me. Specifically,
    I have two more question regarding your solution:

    1. What is Table? Does it mean the range of data?

    2. After I typed in the first formula, Excel will not let me type in the
    second formular.

    To make things simple, is there any way you could give me an example. Thank
    you very much again.

    Charles